Meat bird question...

Flyboy718

Chirping
8 Years
Jul 27, 2011
This may be a dumb question but I am wanting to cut costs on my first meat bird experience. Is there any problems or concerns with just purchasing an all rooster flock of about 15-25 birds for slaughter only? Would there be any behavior problems?

no if there are no hen the roos will not fight, or so my experiance tells me
yippiechickie.gif

There should not be any behavior problems. They will go through the normal pecking order stuff a straight run or all pullet flock will experience, but they should be harvested well before any rooster behavior shows up. And with no females present, rooster behavior should not show up anyway.

Sexing is not 100%, especially if they are vent sexed. You could possibly wind up with a female or two. But even then, they will be harvested so young, you should not have any behavior problems.

Awsome! A small slaughter flock of 15 - 25 male barred rocks or production reds would be a pretty good savings.

Quote:
These breeds may cost less as chicks, however they will take a L O N G time to raise wich translates to much more labor, housing, power and lower feed to meat conversion rate. They will start their 3am wake up calls for you long before they will be ready to process aproaching 24 weeks or more. I would consider that one purchase a true male meat bird such as a Cornish X ( highest feed to meat conversion rate in all of chickendom, and follow proper management protocals) that would be ready to process at 6-8 weeks or a Freedom Ranger at 12-14 weeks of age at which points they are just starting their voice practicing. Good luck !

Quote:
These breeds may cost less as chicks, however they will take a L O N G time to raise wich translates to much more labor, housing, power and lower feed to meat conversion rate. They will start their 3am wake up calls for you long before they will be ready to process aproaching 24 weeks or more. I would consider that one purchase a true male meat bird such as a Cornish X ( highest feed to meat conversion rate in all of chickendom, and follow proper management protocals) that would be ready to process at 6-8 weeks or a Freedom Ranger at 12-14 weeks of age at which points they are just starting their voice practicing. Good luck !

OK...where is a good place to get freedom rangers the cheapest? I like to use Ideal Hatchery but they don't carry freedom rangers.

Something like the frying pan special, all large breed rooster chicks is pretty cheap per chick. But I think you will find that the cheapest meat will be from good Cornish Cross chicks, raised with good food, and slaughtered at the right age. The chicks cost more, but the feed cost to raise them to butchering size will be much less.

Actually, the cheapest chicken meat is the bagged fryers at the super market, especially if you get them on sale. I've seen them for as low as 70 cents a pound. You can't raise chicken for that.

If you are uncertain about raising meat birds, if you can wait until spring, most feed stores sell Cornish Cross chicks and you can buy a small number. Say 5 to start with to make sure you like the project.

Back
Top Bottom