Meat Birds and small children??

We showed our 8 & 10 year old girls how chickens from the store live. They almost wouldn't eat store chicken any more. Then we explained why we wanted to grow our own and they understood. I think raising a larger number helps since they all look the same and you couldn't pick one from the next one day after the other.

If you are going to name them, I might recommend - Parmesean, Coq Au Vin, Barbie-Q or other similar names.
wink.png

I thought it would be a problem. However, I was upfront that boys were dinner and girls were breakfast. Today when my daughter (10) was herding the chicks in she told me Spot was about big enough to eat, but we may need two chicks for the whole family.
tongue.png
I think it will be harder on me than them.

Thankfully I'm starting mine early. My oldest is 2 1/2. To her, when one of the chicks doesn't make it the chick is "broke." She's "broke" rodents, rabbits, baby birds, etc from the cats, and the periodic chick that doesn't make it.

Our broilers are 4 weeks old. She doesn't know the difference. They're all chicks to her, and we have enough that I don't think it will matter, even when she's older, that they're disappearing.

Not naming them is a huge thing! We don't name livestock around here, and my chickens are definitely livestock.

I picked up a bunch of chicks last week at the PO. A little girl walked in behind me and asked to see them. I peeled back the corner of the box to show her. She asked me if they all had names yet! It was very cute, but my vocal response was "not yet." My unspoken response was "dinner" LOL

Kendra

PS I'm hoping that as my girls get older they're so used to the process that it won't be an issue. We also breed dogs. Life and death is part of the process. I'm hoping to instill some natural respect for that. I've never butchered anything before. I'm forcing myself to help the neighbor butcher our chickens for the same reason.

My three year-old knows the purpose of the meat chickens and the rabbits. She helps (watches and fetches) during the killing and butchering process.

I've never pushed her at all. I certainly wouldn't make her at this age if she didn't want to, but she seems to understand their purpose and is grateful. She thanks God for our chickens when we eat them.

I guess I'm cruel. She doesn't watch all the little PETA talking animal movies!
lol.png

Quote:
This is an interesting observation. I wonder if the whole "Bambi thing" with animals in cartoons acting human makes it hader for young children to understand what meat animals are supposed to be. Believe it or not this practice is called "anthropomorphism" and it means ascribing human characteristics to non-human creatures. Bugs Bunny or Bambi being perfect examples.

Another argument for not letting kids too much watch TV!

~Phyllis

Last edited:
Last night hubby decided to put their coop behind the house in his "Man Cave" where he keeps his power tools and lawn stuff. The girls dont go over there, so the will have no access to them. The babies will stay in my office which the girls also dont have access too.

Im sure I will be overly emotional the first time, but since I work from home I will be the one caring for these guys.

We have also decided that when it comes to processing of the birds I will take the girls to lunch and a movie, so they wont be here. It will be a fun day with fresh chicken for Dinner.

Wish me luck!!
smile.png

As stated before no names. I tell my kids they can give no names only numbers
smile.png
. When you put it on the table you say "NOW SERVEING NUMBER 7"
lol.png
. I have all boys 5,8 and 11, they want to do the killing themselves but I won't let them for the chickens sake. When they have to eat store bought birds there not happy, they preffer home grown for taste.

I wonder if the whole "Bambi thing" with animals in cartoons acting human makes it hader for young children to understand what meat animals are supposed to be.

Absolutely 100%!! I can't tell you how many times people have referenced Bambi about my dh hunting. "OMG he's going to shoot Bambi's daddy!!" most people don’t appreciate my response that I much prefer Bambi's mommy, as Bambi's daddy is old, tough, and full of testosterone.

My 4yo dd understands that some animals are food, and some make food. Hens can be pets (and her banty roo is a pet), but the cc's are food. Her response when we opened the box of cc chicks we got in last week... "They look YUMMY!"

In general, we don't name food, though dd has declared all of these little cornies "Freddie", and a couple of our last batch had names. None of the turkeys have names, except that we call them "Tom". She likes to help on processing day with everything, we make it a big family deal.

It's a whole lot easier starting them early-- the kiddos can handle a great deal more than we give them credit for.​

I have a 4 year old and she seems to be handling the process very well. I think sneaking around the situation only confuses the children. It also gives the impression that we are doing something wrong and to keep quiet about it.

We insist on giving our animals a loving life for the short time they are with us. We hold them and talk to them and care about them. I want my family to fully appreciate the life that we are taking and if that turns my daughter into a vegetarian than that's O.K.. Raising an animal to kill it and eat it is not something that I want to become desensitized to. It was hard the first time and I want it to be hard the last time. And I beleive that children should be allowed to feel those feelings and then make a choice on their own.

We also trap wild rabbits and my daughter helps clean them. She helps milk the goats. She is encouraged to ask a lot of questions and we don't ram our opinions down her throat. If one day she doesn't want to eat meat because it is too hard to take a life, I'm going to accept that. Never will it be O.K. to only eat store bought meat becasue she can't bare to kill an animal to feed herself.

I hope everything works out for you and your family.

I think sneaking around the situation only confuses the children. It also gives the impression that we are doing something wrong and to keep quiet about it.

I want to make this very clear: we do not sneak around or confuse our children about where their food comes from. We talk about it very openly. We just don't butcher in front of the children. I suggested that if your kids are prone to attachment with animals, then don't involve them in it. That's not sneaking around.​

Back
Top Bottom