Meat birds are ordered.

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by LoneCowboy, Mar 28, 2008.

1. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2007
    Longmont, CO
    Well, I ordered my meat birds from Ideal yesterday. I was going to do another run of 50 layers, but since I couldn't get what I wanted until April 30th, I figured I'd be pushing my luck trying to get meat birds through to processing before it got to hot here. So I ordered the 5 birds I needed to fill an order and 50 Cornish Rocks. Anybody have any experience with Ideal's meat birds? I was going to get them from MMH but they didn't have the layers I needed.

2. jmschristiansen

jmschristiansen Out Of The Brooder

Feb 28, 2008
    Parker County, Texas
    I ordered 30 Cornish X from Ideal, they arrived Feb. 18, and seemed very spry and healthy. After a day or two, we noticed one had a problem walking. We hoped it would get better, but as it gained weight, it just got worse, to the point that it really couldn't move any more. The guy I am splitting these birds with is a vet, he took a look at it, and said that it had some sort of malformation of a tendon or something, so he euthanized it. Then, at about 2 weeks, I came home and found one on it's back, dead. No signs of any trauma, so we assumed a heart attack. Last Saturday I noticed one sitting on it's bum, not moving. I have been giving it electrolytes & water, and today it actually seems a bit stronger. We keep expecting to find it dead, and have plans to send it for a necropsy if it dies.

So, of 30, I have 28 alive, but may lose 1 more. Only one of those losses was something that may have been caught with a closer look at the chicks, and possibly not even then. This was my second order from Ideal, and their customer service has been top-notch.

Good luck!

James C

3. skeeter

skeeter Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2007
    Parma Idaho
    Quote:Id say youve done very well with these crosses

4. greyfields

greyfields Overrun With Chickens

Mar 15, 2007
    Washington State
    Congrats you two. Producing your own meat birds is a big step. Given the conditions of industrial chicken production, you are doing the right thing.

5. professor-yellow

professor-yellow Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2008
    I ordered the Black Broilers from Ideal and they are now 3 weeks old. Thier weight gain is impressive as i ordered White Rock pullets with the same order. The BB's pulled ahead in size at about 2 weeks of age.

They are very active birds and out of the 30, have not taken on any losses or cripples. Another 2 weeks and they will go into the meat house still under construction.

With the encouragement from others here, I have ordered 2 Standard Cornish Red Lace males to team up with the White Rock pullets at a later date.

These broiler birds are not as explosive in weight as i thought, but after Pekin ducks nothing could be more maintenance.
    I am very interested in playing with crosses for meat production.

6. Sunny Chook Farm

Sunny Chook Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2008
    Quote:I also plan on trying for my own meat bird crosses... until I can start that, I'm waiting on our cornish X rocks to come in....

7. tomsgonefishin

tomsgonefishin Out Of The Brooder

Jul 27, 2007
    Raleigh, North Carolina
    I got mine from Ideal on Feb 8th. Check out my post if you haven't already on our progress so far:

Titled: Meat bird development (Week 7) ---- 8lbs 2 oz Updated PICS!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by