Meat birds are ordered.

LoneCowboy

Songster
12 Years
Aug 26, 2007
Longmont, CO
Well, I ordered my meat birds from Ideal yesterday. I was going to do another run of 50 layers, but since I couldn't get what I wanted until April 30th, I figured I'd be pushing my luck trying to get meat birds through to processing before it got to hot here. So I ordered the 5 birds I needed to fill an order and 50 Cornish Rocks. Anybody have any experience with Ideal's meat birds? I was going to get them from MMH but they didn't have the layers I needed.

I ordered 30 Cornish X from Ideal, they arrived Feb. 18, and seemed very spry and healthy. After a day or two, we noticed one had a problem walking. We hoped it would get better, but as it gained weight, it just got worse, to the point that it really couldn't move any more. The guy I am splitting these birds with is a vet, he took a look at it, and said that it had some sort of malformation of a tendon or something, so he euthanized it. Then, at about 2 weeks, I came home and found one on it's back, dead. No signs of any trauma, so we assumed a heart attack. Last Saturday I noticed one sitting on it's bum, not moving. I have been giving it electrolytes & water, and today it actually seems a bit stronger. We keep expecting to find it dead, and have plans to send it for a necropsy if it dies.

So, of 30, I have 28 alive, but may lose 1 more. Only one of those losses was something that may have been caught with a closer look at the chicks, and possibly not even then. This was my second order from Ideal, and their customer service has been top-notch.

Good luck!

James C

I ordered the Black Broilers from Ideal and they are now 3 weeks old. Thier weight gain is impressive as i ordered White Rock pullets with the same order. The BB's pulled ahead in size at about 2 weeks of age.

They are very active birds and out of the 30, have not taken on any losses or cripples. Another 2 weeks and they will go into the meat house still under construction.

With the encouragement from others here, I have ordered 2 Standard Cornish Red Lace males to team up with the White Rock pullets at a later date.

These broiler birds are not as explosive in weight as i thought, but after Pekin ducks nothing could be more maintenance.
I am very interested in playing with crosses for meat production.

Quote:
I also plan on trying for my own meat bird crosses... until I can start that, I'm waiting on our cornish X rocks to come in....

Back
Top Bottom