Meat birds cant walk

jstan

In the Brooder
Jun 17, 2015
I bought 25 cornish X rocks and have lost 2. I found blood in the stool and treated that and no more problems there. Now i have 3 or so that i have seperated because they cant seem to walk and when they are laying down they dont seem to have any balance. I have to pick them up and hold them at the water or feed to make them eat or drink. Feeder and water is next to them but they wont eat unless i put thier beaks in the feed or water. They are on antibiotics with probiotics and electolytes. Anyone seen this before?

It isn't normal for chickens not to move, However, it isn't uncommon in Cornish X. They grow musculature too fast for their skeletal structure.
I was going to suggest that you process those that can't move now to put them out of their misery until I saw that they were on antibiotics.
What are the antibiotics for? I didn't read anything that suggested you knew of some bacterial infection the antibiotics would help.

I'm curious how old they are? We have ten CX only a week old and all were moving around fine, this morning I found one unable to get up, he's sitting like he has spradle legs but it must be dislocated or something instead because they were fine yesterday. They are about the size of my two week old buff Orpington chicks, so big but not enormous or anything. I wasn't anticipating any leg problems this early.
As with yours, I put this one near the feeder and waterer but it will only drink if I encourage it. I guess I need to cull it, man I hate culling chicks while they are still so tiny, I feel like a monster.

Mine are just over 3 weeks old. I gave the antibiotic, hydrochloride sulfur i think. Just as precaution. I gave it in half dose. Just in case any of my birds were having tespitory problems. I had seen a few of my older ones that seemed to be sneezing. And its been so dry here lately, well till today, wr are at 4-5 inches in 2 days now. I was just worried a respitory infection was starting. This is my first time with any sick birds, ive aleays hatched and, brooded, and to the coop. So this is all new to me. Thanks for the info. I guess ill cull the last 2. Should i lower or raise protein?

Antibiotics and probiotics are really not required for meaties any more than for layers. I would ditch those, especially the first. And I think you're feeding them too much. If you want a factory raised chicken fed antibiotics with high losses due to health problems... Just go to the store. :/ It'll be the same price and less work.

Don't free-feed after 3 weeks. Wet feed can really help too (such as a mash or FF). Feed them what they'll finish in 30-60 min twice a day, and make sure there's lots of fresh water. Make sure they have space to move, and a REASON to move (such as food and water being on opposite ends of the pen, or feed in loose bedding so they have to scratch like a normal bird).

Can't know if you need more/less protein unless we know what you're feeding? But meaties usually get 18-22%. I usually just run 20% until processing day, and they get put on pasture at 3 weeks, which I suspect lowers their overall protein intake but idk. I also process later than most, 10 weeks instead of 8.

But my meat birds never have the health problems other people's do.

Last edited:
Mine are just over 3 weeks old. I gave the antibiotic, hydrochloride sulfur i think. Just as precaution. I gave it in half dose. Just in case any of my birds were having tespitory problems. I had seen a few of my older ones that seemed to be sneezing. And its been so dry here lately, well till today, wr are at 4-5 inches in 2 days now. I was just worried a respitory infection was starting. This is my first time with any sick birds, ive aleays hatched and, brooded, and to the coop. So this is all new to me. Thanks for the info. I guess ill cull the last 2. Should i lower or raise protein?

Respiratory infections can't always be cured with antibiotics. Even if bacterial, only about half are treatable.
Sneezing can be viral, fungal, environmental, etc.. None of which can be helped by antibiotics. Now that you've given antibiotics, do you plan on eating them? What is the withdrawal period for meat consumption?
What is the protein percentage they're getting now?

Antibiotics and probiotics are really not required for meaties any more than for layers. I would ditch those, especially the first. And I think you're feeding them too much. If you want a factory raised chicken fed antibiotics with high losses due to health problems... Just go to the store. :/ It'll be the same price and less work.

Don't free-feed after 3 weeks. Wet feed can really help too (such as a mash or FF). Feed them what they'll finish in 30-60 min twice a day, and make sure there's lots of fresh water. Make sure they have space to move, and a REASON to move (such as food and water being on opposite ends of the pen, or feed in loose bedding so they have to scratch like a normal bird).

Can't know if you need more/less protein unless we know what you're feeding? But meaties usually get 18-22%. I usually just run 20% until processing day, and they get put on pasture at 3 weeks, which I suspect lowers their overall protein intake but idk. I also process later than most, 10 weeks instead of 8.

But my meat birds never have the health problems other people's do.
Amen to that, except those you raise will be much more expensive than those you can buy at the store.
I can buy organic pastured Amish chicken from Whole Foods market for what it costs me to raise a few meat birds.

The main reason im raising is a hobby, something i enjoy doing. The meat birde, this is my first time with those. I didnt like the idea of antibiotics, i understand what your saying (just buy from the store), but was afriad they had something to spread through the coop. As far as feeding. Theyre on 18% chick starter still. Should i move to grower? The withdrawal period is 30 days for the antibiotics. But will be 60-70 before i butcher them.
Again the main reason i raise all of the birds i have is i enjoy it. I do love the eggs, but its a hobby more than anything. I decided this year to do meat birds.
Thanks everyone for the info,

And chicken feeds are not in big demand where i am, we have several feed stores but variety is limited to starter, grower, scratch, and laying pellets and crumbles. Would have to order broiler feed or any thing like that

Back
Top Bottom