meat birds/hens - how to feed together?

snobrd1059

Hatching
May 23, 2015
We are raising chicks for the first time, they're currently 2 weeks old, and were just moved to their outdoor shelter and run this afternoon.. We have 40 meat birds and 10 hens. Our starter feed says to switch broilers to Broiler Crumbles at 2-3 weeks, and to switch hens to Poultry Grower at 5 weeks.

Is there any way we can feed these birds together until slaughter? I guess the question is, what harm will come to the hens if they are switched off of starter a couple weeks early, and eat Broiler Crumbles instead of Poultry Grower for 9 weeks?

FWIW, we're feeding Green Mountain Organic Feed.

Thanks!

Kyle

I don't know the exact answer, though i would be worried it would be way too much for the layers. I personally feed my meat bird the same as my layers. I don't like how fast they grow on broiler feed, and they seem so unhealthy and unhappy. When i raise them on normal chick food, they don't grow overly fast, and by the time they are ready to butcher, they are still running around the yard eating bugs and being happy chickens rather than laying around and eating and being fat. I never have broken legs or heart failure. They do grow slower, and the legs are tough since they use the muscles, but it is worth it for having such happy birds. That is just what i do...sorry i couldn't help more :)

This is a Cornish rooster that is over 4 months old...he live to breeding age, but had to get rid of him when we moved.

I'd switch them all to an 18% grower feed at about 5 weeks. It won't hurt your meat birds since they're only going to live about 6 or 7 weeks any way.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom