Meat birds - Louisiana

acipolone

In the Brooder
9 Years
Apr 5, 2010
Hammond, LA
Anyone in Louisiana process poultry for sale?

We just moved to a 9 acre farm and it already had a bunch of coops and pens for poultry. We've been raising ducks for awhile, and figured we might as well continue with that as well as spread out and do some chickens and other poultry (we got some guineas and plan on getting some turkeys at some point).

I spoke with the Louisiana Dept. of Agriculture and Forestry about obtaining a poultry exemption, and it looks like we have a bit of work ahead of us to prepare an area for processing.

The guy I spoke to from the state sounded pretty helpful, and said basically it needs to just be a clean place to process the birds, but then he started going into a lot of detail about what some other folks have. We have a few outbuildings that are really nicely built sheds (better than some houses!) so I think we should be able to do things like tile the floor, put in some air conditioning, put in a floor drain, install a utility sink, and put up some fiberglass walls. Hopefully I can do it for under a couple hundred bucks.

Anyway, I was just wondering if anyone else does this in Louisiana, and had any tips or wouldn't mind us swinging by (if you're not too far from Hammond) to maybe check out your setup.

Thanks!

twentynine here-- I call Gonzales, la home.

Saw an add on CL a few weeks back for poultry processing. Nearest I can remember it was out in Tangipahoa parish.

Hey we are in Ponchatoula and took 12 roosters to be processed today to a place in Independence. They are planning on moving so it would be great if you got set up to process :)

Back
Top Bottom