MEAT BIRD'S " TELL US HOW YOU DO IT"

I'm thinking about trying meat birds in the spring of '13. We have a flock of about 30 laying hens right now and have just culled roosters from that flock so far. I'd like to more intentionally raise meat birds- maybe in batches of 50.

I don't have extra space in my current set up to raise the birds to maturity but could start them in one side my coop as a "brood". Once they get very big at a quantity of 50, I would need to move them to a different enclosure. What kinds of enclosures have people found successful? What kind of cost is associated? Mine would need to be predator proof at night- we have had some issues with those guys in the past. I'm also interested in moving them around our property so they can free range.

Plans, suggestions, etc for about 50 birds would be great. Low cost suggestions are also appreciated!

Thanks!

I'm thinking about trying meat birds in the spring of '13. We have a flock of about 30 laying hens right now and have just culled roosters from that flock so far. I'd like to more intentionally raise meat birds- maybe in batches of 50.

I don't have extra space in my current set up to raise the birds to maturity but could start them in one side my coop as a "brood". Once they get very big at a quantity of 50, I would need to move them to a different enclosure. What kinds of enclosures have people found successful? What kind of cost is associated? Mine would need to be predator proof at night- we have had some issues with those guys in the past. I'm also interested in moving them around our property so they can free range.

Plans, suggestions, etc for about 50 birds would be great. Low cost suggestions are also appreciated!

Thanks!

This is similar to my situation and what I have decided to do and did last year. Predator proof- I use electronetting from Premiere. I already had a charger so that cut my expense. The fence is pretty easy to move. Easier with 2 people, but most of the time I do it myself. Enclosure is a hoop structure. 2 or 3 Cattle Panels ($20.00) ea. Some 2x4's, Fence staples, cheap poly tarp. Build a rectangular frame, attach panels in hoop style, brace, tarp, make sure you cut angles on the open ends to create sled. You can drag with 4 wheeler or it is light enough to move by hand. I think I had less than $100.00- $150.00 in mine. It is only used as shelter for the birds and their food. The fence keeps them safe. Cheapest most effective way I know.

When I'm calculating cost for meat birds, I calculate 2 pounds of feed for each pound of weight gain. So 25 birds cost $50 to buy. Their food to raise them to 8-10 pounds each (live weight) would be 25 x 10 x 2 = 500 pounds of food (or 400lbs for 8lb weight). That is about 8 to 10 bags of food depending on the finish weight. $20/bag for food = $160- $200 for food. Free rangi g would lower that cost. I don't free range mine. Hope this helps some.

Hey Bruceh, I’ve really enjoyed following your updates and raising/feeding information. I noticed that Ideal Poultry in Texas has a good sale on Red Broilers. 90 cents each is a pretty good deal for meat birds. I’m into specialty birds like Chukar, Quail, and others. Also I raise enough Cornish Bantams to get me and the wife through the year. But I learned a few really good tricks from your information, thanks! Actually I stumbled on a cross between a Brahma bantam crossed with a Cornish bantam which makes for a really tender and tasty fat or should I say tender little chicken. But I thought I would copy all of your information from the past few months and use it on about 25 of the Red Broilers that Ideal Poultry has on sale. I called and it will cost me right at thirty dollars after shipping for 25 and they always throw in a few extra! That's not bad for a start. But I’m not trying to save money, your way actually looks like a healthy way to raise a chicken. I should be able to butcher at about 6 or 7 weeks and have plenty of meat with what I have in my specialty birds. Thanks!
smile.png

[SIZE=12pt]Hey Bruceh, I’ve really enjoyed following your updates and raising/feeding information. I noticed that Ideal Poultry in Texas has a good sale on Red Broilers. 90 cents each is a pretty good deal for meat birds. [/SIZE]

Is the Red Broiler special only for certain people? I just went to Ideal Poultry dot com and they weren't on sale. Is there another Ideal?

Last edited:
I just put 25 of my 50 CX in an outside run. Its covered and semi enclosed heat lamp out there. Remember I raise for exhibition. I had to maximize my floor space for the ones for show. These culls get to free range. I haven't had to out them outside before. I just hope they are comfortable and adjust tothe temperatures. they will get a chance to free range wish me luck.

I just put 25 of my 50 CX in an outside run. Its covered and semi enclosed heat lamp out there. Remember I raise for exhibition. I had to maximize my floor space for the ones for show. These culls get to free range. I haven't had to out them outside before. I just hope they are comfortable and adjust tothe temperatures. they will get a chance to free range wish me luck.
culls does that mean supper
droolin.gif

Back
Top Bottom