Meat Birds

Welcome to BYC! You will want them on a grower feed with high protein, most likely not what you are feeding a layer flock. Meat birds do not roost and will grow very fast so by the time they are big enough to be with full size hens they will only be together for around 2-3 weeks.
At the end of the day I wouldn't say its taboo to house them together but if you have the option to keep them apart I would stick with that.

wondering if I get Meat chickens do I keep them separate from egg layers?
Hi, welcome to the forum from Louisiana. Glad you joined.

What types of "meat" chickens are you talking about? There are three basic types, Cornish X, Ranger types, or Dual Purpose. There are many different variations in how we manage them but those are the three basic types.

The Cornish X are probably going to be fed differently as you often restrict feed to them after a certain age. And you feed them a different feed. They also poop a lot so managing poop can be a chore. Some people do try to raise them together with layers, but it's usually not a good idea. They are more likely to raise them separately the second time they raise them.

You have some of the same issues with Rangers but they are not as intense as the CX. It's a little more forgiving if you try to raise them together. Some people do, some don't.

I raise dual purpose for meat and raise them with my laying flock. I don't feed them differently but some people do. Many people wait to butcher dual purpose until well into puberty, which means the cockerels and their hormones can disrupt a flock. You typically butcher CX and Rangers before puberty becomes an issue.

Hi,
Thank you so much for explaining the difference between them. I was leaning towards Cornish x. How many meat birds would be suggested to start with at first?

Welcome to BYC! You will want them on a grower feed with high protein, most likely not what you are feeding a layer flock. Meat birds do not roost and will grow very fast so by the time they are big enough to be with full size hens they will only be together for around 2-3 weeks.
At the end of the day I wouldn't say its taboo to house them together but if you have the option to keep them apart I would stick with that.
Thank you so much!!

Hi,
Thank you so much for explaining the difference between them. I was leaning towards Cornish x. How many meat birds would be suggested to start with at first?
It depends on how big of an area you have to keep them in and how much freezer space you have.
I probably raise more than most backyard chicken keepers. Last year we did over 300 and this year we ordered 200. But we have chicken tractors and a field to move them around in.

It depends on how big of an area you have to keep them in and how much freezer space you have.
I probably raise more than most backyard chicken keepers. Last year we did over 300 and this year we ordered 200. But we have chicken tractors and a field to move them around in.
Wow that’s awesome!! Do you keep them in the chicken tractors full time and then just move them around?

How many meat birds would be suggested to start with at first?
My recommendation is not a lot. Say half a dozen to maybe 10. Gain some experience with them and see what is involved before a strong commitment. The Cornish X grow so fast and can develop medical issues if they are not butchered on schedule that you have a pretty strong time/schedule commitment. See what is involved in processing and preserving them. They can take up a lot of freezer space. There will be a learning curve, it is a lot less stressful if you are only fooling with a few.

I also suggest getting a few Cornish X and a few Rangers and raise them together. See which you like the best. Or make your next batch Rangers. There are differences in them, see what suits you the best.

Back
Top Bottom