Meat chicken coop

farrier! :

These both look smaller then I expected for 25 birds. Could you two share the dimensions?
I am getting my first batch of egg layers at the end of the month but woul love to do meat birds right after they get out.

Don't think of them like layers for space requirements. They need very little.​

Quote:
Do you by chance have any more details on that tractor? It's awesome! Is it all PVC piping?

Thank you, at the moment everything I have is on our page. I have more pictures to add in the future. Yes it is made from PVC pipe.

Kaj

WoW.

What do you think it costs to raise birds in a C-tractor v. inside?

Are Cornish meat birds as easy to raise and the Cornish Cross?
I'm thinking of a small flock that can be harvested from threw most of the year.

I think your sanity is an inexpensive cost for raising CXs outside vs. inside. Search 'tractor' on this forum and you will find photos of other options. Most can be built for less than $100.

Most folks raise meaties in batches as opposed to trying to keep them year round. They are not like laying hens that have a long life. CX are breed to live about 8 wks and grow very quickly. Don't think of them like an ongoing flock.

Last edited:
Quote:
Did you use chicken wire or hardware cloth on your new tractor?

Do you have a picture of the new tractor?

I used hardware cloth around the sides, and chicken wire on the top. I got hardware cloth in 2ft widths to go around it since it's 2ft tall, and 5ft widths of chicken wire for the top, so I didn't have to keep overlapping pieces. I figured that the hardware cloth on the sides would help with predators, plus it was the right width, but if anything breaks through the top, I'll have to put hardware cloth up there too. I don't have any pictures yet, but I think there's one on that site, and on this site as well.

On the back of my old tractor, I believe you're looking at my wheel assembly. The darn thing was so heavy, you couldn't move it without wheels, and even then it was REALLY hard to move.

Quote:
Did you use chicken wire or hardware cloth on your new tractor?

Do you have a picture of the new tractor?

I used hardware cloth around the sides, and chicken wire on the top. I got hardware cloth in 2ft widths to go around it since it's 2ft tall, and 5ft widths of chicken wire for the top, so I didn't have to keep overlapping pieces. I figured that the hardware cloth on the sides would help with predators, plus it was the right width, but if anything breaks through the top, I'll have to put hardware cloth up there too. I don't have any pictures yet, but I think there's one on that site, and on this site as well.

On the back of my old tractor, I believe you're looking at my wheel assembly. The darn thing was so heavy, you couldn't move it without wheels, and even then it was REALLY hard to move.

May I ask what something like this would cost?

Quote:

May I ask what something like this would cost?

Which one- the wood one or the PVC one?

Back
Top Bottom