Meat chickens

ALoftiss

Hatching
Oct 16, 2023
What is the best meat chicken to raise? We have buff orpingtions. They are on the small side but they still work. Just looking for a bigger size.

Welcome to BYC!!

The type of meat bird to raise depends on many factors and individual preferences to taste, tenderness, texture, white:dark meat ratio, etc. Pros and cons to each breed. I prefer cornish cross. It is a fast growing meat bird that can easily attain 8-10 lbs by 8 weeks, but it has inherent problems because of the rapid growth rate. Legs can break under their own weight, and heart failure is a possibility that can lead to loss before processing.

Welcome to BYC!!

The type of meat bird to raise depends on many factors and individual preferences to taste, tenderness, texture, white:dark meat ratio, etc. Pros and cons to each breed. I prefer cornish cross. It is a fast growing meat bird that can easily attain 8-10 lbs by 8 weeks, but it has inherent problems because of the rapid growth rate. Legs can break under their own weight, and heart failure is a possibility that can lead to loss before processing.
Thank you for the input. I will look into the Cornish bred.

Welcome to BYC!

A lot of people use Cornish Xs, they're bred specifically for meat. Not sure if that's what you're looking for though, unless you want more of a dual purpose breed.
Thank you for the input. I will look into the Cornish bred.

CornishX are different than the Cornish breed
Very much so.

If you are looking for nice meaty birds that grow quickly, Cornish Cross are great, as are "slow broiler" types, sold under various names (Freedom Ranger, Red Ranger, Ginger Broilers).

One caution -- these are generally breeds you grow out and butcher, and then start anew with new (purchased) chicks when your freezer is empty. You cannot keep a self-sustaining flock of cornish cross chickens-- they grow too fast, and usually die before reaching breeding age. You have slightly better odds of re-breeding slow broiler types, but there are still issues and potential problems there.

Back
Top Bottom