Meat chickens

handrosilva239

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jul 28, 2014
Fort myers FL
Well this is my first time raising meat chickens and i want to raise them right. Im getting them friday by ideal and i order 15 of them. Whats the best feed to give them. How to raise them .? Need help.!

Stay away from any medicated chick feed. I assume you're planning on doing Cornish Cross in which you can use flock raiser or something equivalent from the get-go. Cornish cross are at butcher age at seven weeks. To keep them alive and healthy keep the pen clean because all they do is sit, eat, poop, and drink so it will get messy and be warned you will go through more feed than a normal laying flock.

Stay away from any medicated chick feed. I assume you're planning on doing Cornish Cross in which you can use flock raiser or something equivalent from the get-go. Cornish cross are at butcher age at seven weeks. To keep them alive and healthy keep the pen clean because all they do is sit, eat, poop, and drink so it will get messy and be warned you will go through more feed than a normal laying flock.

I just want to give a different perspective. My Cornish cross don't just sit, eat, poop and drink. If you can give them some outside access, you would be doing yourself a favor. 15 birds would not need a huge space to roam around in. Check out these two threads for different perspective on raising Cornish Cross birds. One is mine with some videos, and one is one I read quite a bit before getting my birds. Check out my videos...these birds are active and fun if you want to raise them that way. I am doing fermented feed, where the other thread she did not, but she reports that her birds were just as active as mine shown in the videos. I agree with Twisted on shying away from medicated feed. I started mine on turkey starter. Look for 20% plus protein. Regarding butcher age, one downside to raising them like I do, it will most likely be longer than 7-8 weeks to processing day, as they burn more calories running around and grazing. For me, though, I think it is important to allow these chickens to live like, well, chickens. You need to decide which method is best for you.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/921678/cornish-cross-broilers-husbandry

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/896158/first-run-of-cornish-cross-meat-birds-and-super-excited

First of all with these guys give them all the feed they want for the first 2-3 weeks. After that give them about 3/4 of a milk jug of feed a 1-2 times a day.

Do not be suprised to have some losses. I am finishing 25 order, 2 D.O.A, 3 more in the first few days, as I likely did not watch temp close enough. As they get older they can 'go down on there legs', and get pale combs prior to 'flip', which is a heart attack. Feeding 12 on, and 12 off works well after 3-4 weeks. I do this 2x a year in small batches. Chick starter all the way for me. They are well worth it for quality food, that runs me about $2.00 a pound +- using bagged food. I also used a wire floor this season so they could poop through, that saved bedding, and was cleaner. They do stink in damp climates. Well worth it.

Do not be suprised to have some losses.  I am finishing 25 order, 2 D.O.A, 3 more in the first few days, as I likely did not watch temp close enough.  As they get older they can 'go down on there legs', and get pale combs prior to 'flip', which is a heart attack.   Feeding 12 on, and 12 off works well after 3-4 weeks.  I do this 2x a year in small batches.  Chick starter all the way for me.  They are well worth it for quality food, that runs me about $2.00 a pound +- using bagged food.  I also used a wire floor this season so they could poop through, that saved bedding, and was cleaner.  They do stink in damp climates.  Well worth it.  

First of all with these guys give them all the feed they want for the first 2-3 weeks. After that give them about 3/4 of a milk jug of feed a 1-2 times a day.

I just want to give a different perspective. My Cornish cross don't just sit, eat, poop and drink. If you can give them some outside access, you would be doing yourself a favor. 15 birds would not need a huge space to roam around in. Check out these two threads for different perspective on raising Cornish Cross birds. One is mine with some videos, and one is one I read quite a bit before getting my birds. Check out my videos...these birds are active and fun if you want to raise them that way. I am doing fermented feed, where the other thread she did not, but she reports that her birds were just as active as mine shown in the videos. I agree with Twisted on shying away from medicated feed. I started mine on turkey starter. Look for 20% plus protein. Regarding butcher age, one downside to raising them like I do, it will most likely be longer than 7-8 weeks to processing day, as they burn more calories running around and grazing. For me, though, I think it is important to allow these chickens to live like, well, chickens. You need to decide which method is best for you.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/921678/cornish-cross-broilers-husbandry

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/896158/first-run-of-cornish-cross-meat-birds-and-super-excited

Thanks you guys.! Anymore info.?

Since you asked....have the brooder ready. Can you hold 90 degrees in the brooder? Water will be readily available when they arrive? Feed is last after heat and water. Do you have bedding ready? I used pine shavings, but there are many options you can find if you search this site. Regarding heat, the birds will tell you if the temp is ok...huddling under the light means it is too cold, trying too flee the light means too warm, and spread out around the brooder means just right. I put a little apple cider vinegar with the mother in their water (about a glug or 2 for 5 gallons. Finally, I suggest to you, do your best and enjoy the process. My family has found this experience very rewarding. I hope it is the same for you. This isn't rocket science, just pay attention to your birds and you will do fine.

I picked up 5 Cornish X chicks today at Orschelns and have them in with my other chicks now. I plan on having them alongside each other as long as I can. I don't expect them to be as active as the other chicks, but know they can do a lot more than sit and eat.

I have 12 cornish rocks and their two weeks old and their turning really ugly and loosing almost all their feathers. Is this bad?

Back
Top Bottom