Meat chicks & amount of feed

ObessiveChickenDisorder

In the Brooder
Apr 23, 2019
Northeast Ohio
Please, can anyone answer a simple question? How much should I feed my Murray's Big Red Broiler DAILY?
This is my first time raising meat chickens. I started with 25 and I have read/watched article, after article. I know how much a meat chicken will eat in its life time. I know what to add to diet to strengthen legs. I know what to expect as they grow. I know that it will take longer to get these chicks to ideal butchering weight. I know that they aren't the most popular meat chicken (note for next time). HELP!!

Thank you but I am asking HOW MUCH to feed them DAILY.
I understand... free choice means as much as they want EVERY day.

Most full size (already grown) chickens will consume *about* 1/4 # of feed per day per chicken.. so if you have 25 chickens... that would be about 6# feed per day. I suspect less than that since they are still growing.

The breed ya got may not be the most popular meat chicken... but they are pretty standard... faster than heritage and should NOT have the leg issues and such that typical broilers do. While they may take a few weeks more... they should still be good birds for you. :)

Does this get more to the heart of your question? :pop

Free choice starter feed or flock raiser... always recommend a non light emitting heat source so they sleep through the night. :)

Most full size (already grown) chickens will consume *about* 1/4 # of feed per day per chicken.. so if you have 25 chickens... that would be about 6# feed per day. I suspect less than that since they are still growing.

The breed ya got may not be the most popular meat chicken... but they are pretty standard... faster than heritage and should NOT have the leg issues and such that typical broilers do. While they may take a few weeks more... they should still be good birds for you. :)

Ohhh..lol Sorry, I didn't know that is what it meant. Thank you. I was told to put feed out in the morn and pick it up at night to assure they won't eat all night but I have yet to see any leftovers...lol

Free choice starter feed or flock raiser... always recommend a non light emitting heat source so they sleep through the night. :)

Ohhh..lol Sorry, I didn't know that is what it meant. Thank you. I was told to put feed out in the morn and pick it up at night to assure they won't eat all night but I have yet to see any leftovers...lol

With standard broilers (Cornish cross) the not eating at night is important to slow their growth so they don't break their legs. If you are using a non light emitting heat source they will sleep and not eat anyways as chickens do not move around in the dark.

You should be giving them as much feed as they want and not run out during the day... IF you want your MAXIMUM growth potential in the shortest period possible for processing. If they are on pasture and have access to grass and bugs.. this will supplement it some. If they are out of feed when you go to collect... it is essentially stunting their growth by limiting their energy source. Since this breed is said to NOT have the leg issues of CX... that would not be my personal choice... and I might not even remove the feed over night while indoors under a lamp! PLUS I raise my heritage breed boys on 28-30% protein turkey starter.. and would be what I would do for maximum potential with these as well. In addition to the extra protein, it usually has a higher amino acid content. Since I raise my birds outside (barn), I always collect feed at night to avoid rodents.

Energy only comes from 3 sources... fat, protein, and carbs including fiber... protein and carbs contain the same energy count per gram and I get more bang for my buck out of protein... up to a certain point. Excess protein (usually way more than 30%) fed long term could cause kidney issues. It should not be a problem for you.

Also.. good for you for trying to raise your own food! :highfive:

There are lots of caveats, including temperature, keeping conditions, weight of fowl.
This is key! :thumbsup

OP... please note that your birds should not be eating anywhere near the 6 ounces per day that the farmer down the road is feed his adult heavy breed birds... MAYBE by the the time they are getting close to processing weight. But if you put out that much and collect as suggested... they will be getting plenty. The amount they eat will be far less at first and increase daily or weekly as their weight does.

Back
Top Bottom