Meat Duck Quality/Production Standards

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by chicken_boy_Kurt, Jan 24, 2012.

1. chicken_boy_Kurt

chicken_boy_Kurt Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2008
    So, I'm probably getting annoying with all these questions. Let me give you an update, though.

For those of you who don't know, I am trying to get a Muscovy meat duck project started in my 4-H club. I'm the club's vice president, so my club leader put me in charge of it. I proposed the idea at tonight's meeting and there was enough interest that the club leader will now contact someone (no idea who it is, she didn't tell me exactly) to see if it's even a possibility. So now that we have interest and a possibility, I have some more questions.

Does anyone know of any standards (as in "Standard of Perfection" only this would be for production qualities) for meat ducks? As in, this much breast meat, this distance between such and such, etc. Because if I don't find these, we can still do the project, but the ducks would be judged entirely on uniformity and condition. Which, to me, isn't as fun.

2. duckdad

duckdad Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 4, 2011
    So raising a bird and working with the breeding to get a nice, well marked and descript bird isn't much fun?

Why don't you try asking in the "meat bird" section and you;ll likely find more people that are rasing their birds for slaughter. Most folks in here are keeping their ducks as pets or yard birds. Personally I happen to enjoy raising them.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 24, 2012
  3. chicken_boy_Kurt

Mar 20, 2008
    I enjoy raising ducks too. I have three Saxonies for exhibition right now. But I think it would benefit the club members more if the birds were judged based on meat quality and definition rather than just how similar the birds they enter are and in what condition they are (everyone can keep a bird in good condition).

They'd be processed professionally at a butcher.

4. Tahai

Tahai Chillin' With My Peeps

DuckDad, this is the Duck forum, and, as much as some people may enjoy raising them as pets, ducks are livestock, so questions about raising ducks for meat are appropriate. If this is a topic that disturbs you, you could have easily avoided this thread. It is titled "Meat Duck" after all.

5. Tahai

Tahai Chillin' With My Peeps

6. chicken_boy_Kurt

Mar 20, 2008
    Thanks! And nice article, though if you had found an article for this year, it would have been about me. [​IMG] I do know a lot of people who I could talk to about this, but I'm pretty sure they're all going to say what Phil said. Which is making me want to try making my own standards.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2012
  7. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    The SOP should be describing a bird that is suitable as a meat bird, so you should be able to use the SOP.

8. chicken_boy_Kurt

Mar 20, 2008
    This is true, but the hatchery is not breeding them to the SOP. For one thing, this is the French production strain so they're huge... I guess it might work, barring size. Thank you for your input because I hadn't thought of that. [​IMG]

9. Rosecomb-Ryan

Rosecomb-Ryan East Indie Crazed

Apr 12, 2008
    Sacramento CA
    Quote:
    I personally have seen Muscovies from 'French Production' lines.. A Show Muscovies is almost 1/3 bigger then any of those I have seen. Show Quality Whites, if you can find them, are usually the largest. Some of my White hens are the size of some Drakes I have seen.

10. chicken_boy_Kurt

Mar 20, 2008
    Okay! New question! How does one go about weighing a duck? Because now Phil is telling me it's impossible. I'm not sure if this project is going to happen. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by