Meat from chickens is TOUGH

We just processed three roos, ages 1-2 yo. I aged them for 3 days in the fridge and then froze them. We'll see what they end up like. I remember when DH and I were first married and could not afford expensive, tender cuts of beef. We made do with cheaper cuts and marinated them. We got used to the taste (and chewiness) of those cuts. I'm getting curious as to whether our birds will be like that also.

Two things that I agree with that have already been posted- they need to rest in the fridge/ice for as long as you can do it. I rest mine for up to three days before eating, freezing, or delivering. Adding salt to the water will keep it colder and help to break down tissue as well. Also- are these your first batch of home grown birds? When I first got started, I was worried that I wouldn't like raising my own birds as they are ALWAYS going to be much firmer than the crap meat you get in the stores.

I was so dissapointed when i ate my first chicken..Didnt know about the resting thing, and we froze them all the same day..So we let them deforst fully in the fridge, then let rest for three days..this was 5 days, and it was much better..the second batch we rested in a big bag in fridge for 3 days then forze, and oh boy they were fantastic...keep in mind these were totally free range and also 15 to 18 weeks..
Cut the bodys in half, cooked indirectly on the grill, basted with butter/garlic/lemon the last 10 minutes...Yum...making my mouth water just thinking about it!
Goodluck

You can age before or after, just needs to be at fridge temp to break down.

Quote:
1-2 year old birds are going to not just be "tough" but by that age, will be stringy if not cooked in a slow moist way. Pressure cooker or slow cooker like you would a tough cut of beef such as brisket and it will be full of flavor.

As others have said, if this is your first batch of homegrown broilers, it will take awhile to get used to the difference in texture. They are going to be a little "firmer in texture" than store bought meat. After you get used to it, you will think store chicken is mushy and flavorless, and you will not want to go back to it.

I processed 3 CX's on Monday and cut up and fried one on tuesday and let me tell you it was the best chicken I've had in a long time. The breast just melted in my mouth. They were 8weeks exactly.

Awesome advise! We just processed our first broiler and it was tough, however, it literally went from yard to table :) I know it wasn't tough from fright because we are very gentle with our chickens. It is important knowing they are happy and healthy all the way thru the process. We have been blogging about our first time broiler experience if you are interested. We would love feed back because I am sure we will be doing it again.
http://quadlfarmandhomeschool.blogspot.com

I agree with what has been said above. We raise dual purpose birds here and raise them out to about 6 months or so before processing. I also don't have room in my fridge to age the birds in the fridge before freezing so I have to freeze as soon as the birds are done. I do however take the birds out of the freezer and place them in brine in the fridge.

A thing to keep in mind that the amount of time is dependent on the individual bird so saying do it for 2 days or 3 days really doesn't work. I will take them and put them in the fridge and will check the leg by trying to move it each day. When it moves freely and isn't stiff I know they are ready. I also add seasonings and stuff like that to the brine water too and when it's ready to cool the bird has pulled in all the seasonings in the the tissue which makes it taste amazing.

Another thing to keep in mind is cooking for the DP birds like your RIR cook them lower temps and with moisture in the bottom of the roasting pan. I would cook them around 220 or 250 for a few hours until they get to the right temp then up the temp a bit to 300 and take the cover off for like 10 or 15 minutes to brown the skin. Tastes amazing!!.

Your CRX should not need this type of cooking if they were done at 8 weeks but the aging in the fridge might help with the toughness.

I also have to agree that there is a texture difference between store bought and home raised chicken no matter the breed. My son describes store chicken as spongy and he won't eat it now. Home grown meat can be firmer because they are not restricted from moving so they use their muscles.

Hope this helps

My wife and I raise (and eat) dual purpose birds, mainly Delawares. We process them right at 3 months. This means smaller birds compared to grocery stores and what many of you do, but the 1 3/4 to 2 1/2 lb birds are sufficient for us to have 2 full meals from.

More importantly, that is the ideal age for our birds to have both the size and tenderness we expect! We brine them in salted ice water at processing to get all the blood out, then we age them in the fridge for 4 days before cooking or freezing. We often stagger batches so we don't have too many in the fridge at one time. I have been eyeing one of those mini (dorm sized) fridges just for aging meat or cheese. Heck, maybe I should just get a full sized one for when I process sheep when the weather is warm!

Anyway, the chickens are tender enough to be cooked with any method we want, and so flavorfull! Uh...I think I know what I want for dinner!!!

~S

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom