Meat health of processed bird

If you are planning on Having birds SPECIFICALLY for meat, I would partition the coop/run or make a new one all together. I have done a few rounds of the CornishX just to get some trustworthy quality meat in the freezer. They don’t require as much space. They were all quite lazy. But I did have them on different feed. I started with a 28% non medicated quail and game bird starter from Tucker Milling Co. and at 4 weeks switched to a 24% from the same line.

I processed them at 7 1/2 weeks at a friends house who does chickens, ducks, turkey, cow and pigs professionally and goes to markets and all that jazz. They were impressed with the size and quality of my birds. They all had a nice fat content, but nowhere near too much. Out of the 45 total, in three occasions, not one came in under 5 pounds.

I am by no means and expert, but I do trust my friends who do this regularly. They helped process the birds from start to finish. They told me and showed me how the organs looked clean and clear of any issues. No anomalies to speak of really. Each time, they kept the feet and everything that came from the inside. They ended up selling the gizzards and feet themselves and felt confident enough to give everything else to their chickens to dispose of.

I ended up eating some of them and selling the rest.

If you have the space to do meat birds, I would recommend it. At least once. It will be a two month investment and they won’t get old enough to crow so your HOA won’t mind. But be prepared before you even order or buy the birds. Have a place to process them lined up.

Oh and meat birds, due to their lazier nature and otherworldly growth, they fall victim to the heat much easier than your layers. So be prepared for that as well.

CX for "CornishX", the fat little butterballs purpose built for arriving on table by 8 weeks of age - as a way to distinguish quickly from heritage breeds like the "Dark Cornish".

We've all had to make do the last couple years because of shortages. I, and many (probably most) recommend an All Flock type feed for all birds all their lives, plus fresh water, free choice oyster shell, free choice grit for the typical backyard owner of the typical backyard flock, with typical backyard management. For our purposes, "All Flock" is Essentially an 18-20% protein, 3.5% fat+/-, 1.5% calcium +/-, 3.5% fiber +/- feed, preferably with about .6% Phosphorus, at least .35% Methionine, and .7% Lysine. In that order of preference.

Doesn't matter what the label says - All FLock, Flock Raiser, Starter, Grower, Meat Bird Maintenance... The ONLY things that matter is the guaranteed nutritional label and the mill date.

I do NOT recommend making feed at home. STRONGLY advise against. For reasons of economics, for reasons of nutrition for your birds, for reasons of quality control. Almost without exception, each homebrew feed recipe I see is so obviously imbalanced (and usually deficient) that I wonder [impolite things] about the posting person. Seems like almost daily I'm raining all over the parade of someone who saw a youtube video and suddenly think they are announcing some great discovery to us here at BYC.
You say All Flock for all their lives. I've always heard they need more protein at the beginning to help with growth. Do you supplement or what is your reasoning?

If you are planning on Having birds SPECIFICALLY for meat, I would partition the coop/run or make a new one all together. I have done a few rounds of the CornishX just to get some trustworthy quality meat in the freezer. They don’t require as much space. They were all quite lazy. But I did have them on different feed. I started with a 28% non medicated quail and game bird starter from Tucker Milling Co. and at 4 weeks switched to a 24% from the same line.

I processed them at 7 1/2 weeks at a friends house who does chickens, ducks, turkey, cow and pigs professionally and goes to markets and all that jazz. They were impressed with the size and quality of my birds. They all had a nice fat content, but nowhere near too much. Out of the 45 total, in three occasions, not one came in under 5 pounds.

I am by no means and expert, but I do trust my friends who do this regularly. They helped process the birds from start to finish. They told me and showed me how the organs looked clean and clear of any issues. No anomalies to speak of really. Each time, they kept the feet and everything that came from the inside. They ended up selling the gizzards and feet themselves and felt confident enough to give everything else to their chickens to dispose of.

I ended up eating some of them and selling the rest.

If you have the space to do meat birds, I would recommend it. At least once. It will be a two month investment and they won’t get old enough to crow so your HOA won’t mind. But be prepared before you even order or buy the birds. Have a place to process them lined up.

Oh and meat birds, due to their lazier nature and otherworldly growth, they fall victim to the heat much easier than your layers. So be prepared for that as well.
Thank you!
I actually have one CornishX by accident. I was getting more layers and she was in the wrong bin. I keep her separate because the others pick on her since she's so passive.
Why did you go with the game bird feed? Was it the higher protein? Does it have more variety?
What do you mean process them lined up?

Thank you!
I actually have one CornishX by accident. I was getting more layers and she was in the wrong bin. I keep her separate because the others pick on her since she's so passive.
Why did you go with the game bird feed? Was it the higher protein? Does it have more variety?
What do you mean process them lined up?
The game bird was recommended by my father-in-law who had done some meat birds before. I’ve had good experience with Tucker Milling Co and yes the higher protein was the seller for me. I read up on protein content and spoke with the people who helped me process the birds. So I went with it and loved the outcome.

And have a place to process them lined up. Like find someone with a plucker, sterile work environment to kill, pluck, and prepare for the freezer. Processors will charge by the bird or possibly by the pound. I was very lucky to have access to someone who does it regularly. Others may not have that resource. I’d be fine doing one or a few birds here at the house, but I wouldn’t risk doing more than a couple.

as to why one bird was fatty, and one was not? I can only speculate.
Different breeds. Different genders.
I've butchered a lot of pullets, cockerels, hens, and roosters, all dual purpose. The girls have a lot more fat. The girls store up excess fat to live off of if they ever go broody, it's a survival mechanism, even if they never go broody. They can mostly live off of that fat and stay on the nest taking care of the eggs instead of having to go forage for food. All the other factors can have an effect too but the difference in fat in boys and girls is clear.

You say All Flock for all their lives. I've always heard they need more protein at the beginning to help with growth. Do you supplement or what is your reasoning?
Look at the percent protein on the label. All Flock is generally fairly high. Perfectly suitable to get them off to a good start, whether dual purpose or meat birds.

I've butchered a lot of pullets, cockerels, hens, and roosters, all dual purpose. The girls have a lot more fat. The girls store up excess fat to live off of if they ever go broody, it's a survival mechanism, even if they never go broody. They can mostly live off of that fat and stay on the nest taking care of the eggs instead of having to go forage for food. All the other factors can have an effect too but the difference in fat in boys and girls is clear.

Agree Gender is the primary determinant. I wasn't certain that the birds OP butchered were different genders, and I was unclear that the reason my pullet had excesssive fat was her "improved" diet, in addition to her feminine predisposition. Apologies for the lack of clarity, and good catch @Ridgerunner . I knew what I meant! just said it poorly.

Look at the percent protein on the label. All Flock is generally fairly high. Perfectly suitable to get them off to a good start, whether dual purpose or meat birds.
Thank you! Mine were both males but that does make sense that females would have more fat so I will keep that in mind with the next.
That is very helpful about the All Flock because we just got a couple of ducks and I was trying to figure out the feed difference without getting everyone different packs.

Back
Top Bottom