meat like substance

lediebabe

Hatching
10 Years
Jan 2, 2010
Found a meat like substance underneath the roost of my hens and again found one in the nest box. It looks like chicken meat, size approximately 2 to 3" long. I now have a chicken that is sluggish and separates herself from the other chickens. Does anyone have an idea what this might be?

Welcome

Could it be shell less eggs?

Pictures would be helpful.
It's a good idea to seperate sick chickens to a warm area, Like house/garage.

Imp

welcome-byc.gif

I would say to remove the sluggish one and check her for injuries. Give her electrolytes in water & treat the wounds (if found).

Add more protein to their diet.

I do hope that I am posting this correctly. Yes the link you sent looks very like what I have found. I do have this substance in a plastic bag and will try to take a picture. It is several weeks old. When you break it open it seems to look like cooked chicken. It did not really have a bad smell to it. I found one several months back under the roost and had a chicken that I thought was egg bound. I separated her and kept her warm and placed warm cloths on her. She seemed to perk back up and put her back with the chickens. Don't know if she is laying or not. Then a week or so before Christmas found another in the nest box. I do have a hen that is lethargic and separated her for awhile but she is now back with the others. I'm stumped as to what this might be and especially after finding two in several months. My hens are approximately 2 years old.

I spent a long time Yesterday trying to find an answer. No luck. It seems to be a true mystery. I've seen it posted here a couple times and found a couple pixs through google. No one seems to know exactly what it is. I'm still leaning towards internal layer finally pushing the blockage out, but it really just a guess. If you do figure it out please let us know.

I hope your chickens are OK.

Imps hate not knowing

Back
Top Bottom