Meat mixes...... What have you tried?

Me too!
I just got them off eBay about 4 years ago. Couple different sellers. Oh, and a single chick from a local breeder that was mis-shipped (with her Seramas - one of these things is not like the others!)
Here's a better full body shot of the boy. He's heavy, but I haven't weighed him yet.
View attachment 2460274
Wow, he is a nice looking roo! I hope my 2 look that nice when they mature. They are still in the "I don't quite have my big boy feathers and I look like a gangly teen-ager" phase.
Have you found your boys to be as well behaved as they are supposed to be known for? I mean that one certainly looks nice...

My eggs came from ebay as well. A group of us from here connected on a Biele thread I started because we all hatched out eggs this year. Though quiet latelky, we can follow each other's progress, and in the future maybe do some egg swaps to bring in blood from other lines.

Wow, impressive. Those are some nice looking birds and I like big too. At my last farm I raised Bourbon Red Turkeys and loved the output of meat vs the inputs required. Not as much of course as Broad Breasted breeds, but I'm happy to say my breeding trio lived full, healthy, and long lives.
One of the reasons I had not considered Brahmas is because I need clean legged birds. I live on a red clay ridge and it's as sticky as cement when wet and cakes on when drying. But I'm guessing once you get some crosses the EE will clean up the legs!
Hmmm...food for thought! Now that I have the incubator my choices have really opened up.

Thank you for sharing...I may have to consider some.
The offspring have lightly feathered legs, so I don't think clay would be to bad of a problem.

Wow, he is a nice looking roo! I hope my 2 look that nice when they mature. They are still in the "I don't quite have my big boy feathers and I look like a gangly teen-ager" phase.
Have you found your boys to be as well behaved as they are supposed to be known for? I mean that one certainly looks nice...

My eggs came from ebay as well. A group of us from here connected on a Biele thread I started because we all hatched out eggs this year. Though quiet latelky, we can follow each other's progress, and in the future maybe do some egg swaps to bring in blood from other lines.
That guy is the Biele/Marans x. I really like the pullet I got that was from the same hatch as well (different Marans coop). She grew quickly and is broader breasted than the Bieles I have. Thankfully this cockerel got the Biele legs/feet; feathered feet are not really desirable in a meat bird I don't think. :)

Back
Top Bottom