Meat Rabbits rock!!!!

Checkered Giants would probably be a poor choice for meat. They're a little slower to mature, and they're a full arched breed, so not as 'meaty'. They're perfectly edible, though.

Californians and New Zealands are probably the most common/popular. These are some breeds that are built to be commercial rabbits, but you'd have to double check their growth rates to be sure they're what you're after: American, American Chinchilla, Beveren, Blanc de Hotot, Champagne d'Argent, Cinnamon, Creme d'Argent, Palomino, Rex, Satin, Silver Fox.

Some of those breeds are uncommon, even rare. So you could have meat AND do your part to preserve a breed. Maybe even branch out into showing, huh?
cool.png

I have Silver Fox, Blanc De Hotots and just got a pair of Checkerd Giants, I have heard the checkereds are good to cross for meat rabbits so I thought Id try it. Although the buck is Huge realy does not appear to be much meat on him, the doe however is a cross and she is huge and meatie, I just bred them so we will seee what the babys look like in anouther month.

Oh and did I mention? These giants are MEAN suckers. Dont know if they are all like that but I dont expect Ill have them too long, Ill keep a couple does from this litter to cross back on my silver fox and hotot bucks for meaties.

I have Cals and NZ. I can't really complain about feed prices cause I KNOW that anything home grown will generally cost more. I love that they are a nice easy to raise orgainic meat for my children. And they don't stink.

I also factor the poop into the cost of raising them. Fertilizer is expensive and having all the fertilizer I want without harsh chemicals means a lot to me. There is a brand of Fertilizer here called Black Kow. I bought it for 5 bucks a bag and it was mostly sand.

Back
Top Bottom