Meat rabbits, thinking of giving them up?

obsessed

Songster
12 Years
Jan 3, 2008
Slidell, LA
I have successfully raised and butchered two litters. I started with six adults and reduced the herd to one male and three females. I culled based on personality. Overall the meat is good and they are not that much work.
I am feeling a bit distraught though. It seems like the kids just won't eat it. Like the meat is always chewy or tough.
I look at them not just for the meat but for the poop also.
I want to keep them but if no one will eat them then it is more work than it is worth.
Any advice?

Are you waiting too long before dispatching them? They should not be tough, when my kids were kids, gulp they loved rabbit.

Try six weeks and see if that makes a difference, if I remember right I butchered at six weeks. You can also put the rabbit pieces in a pressure cooker for 15 minutes and take out cool and then fry.

Last edited:
I would rather eat rabbit than chicken. What breed are you raising , it makes some difference.

try the legs in a dutch oven, brown them first then and veggies and cream of something soup (mushroom, celery) cook for a couple hours and they will be super tender.

another way is make "chicken fingers" from the back strap, that should go over good with kids.

and then there is rabbit ala king- cut it up into cubes.

last but not least is the old fashioned way my mom used to cook - eat what is on the table or go to bed hungry.
smile.png

Steve in NC

I am raising the NZ Cal crosses. I did let them sit for a day before cooking. I think they are good and that it tastes like chicken.

Steve, that made me laugh. My mom was the same way.

How did you cook them? At 8 weeks old they should be melt in your mouth tender!!! We like a little more size and favor on ours and usually wait until 12 to 16 weeks old. They have never been tough or chewy.
Let us know how you cooked them and maybe we can help.
The other S,
Sharon

Back
Top Bottom