Meat Turkey Leg Problem HELP!

chickenlover54

Henely Hatchery
10 Years
May 20, 2009
Northern Illinois
I have 2 BB White turkeys, they are about 3 weeks old now. They are both males, I saw them displaying. One is almost double the size of the other, the lady that I got them from hers are the size of my smaller one. This enormous turkey has devloped a leg problem, it is not broken but he is limping. Is there any chance he pull out of it or will it get worse? This problem has developed within the last three days and I don't think its getting any worse, but its not getting better. I have never seen a turkey grow so fast, I would hate to loose him.

Displaying is not an indicator of sex, so if that is what you are basing the sexing on you could actually have a pair.

Did you check the pad of the foot? It could have gotten a splinter or something.

I've heard loads of people on here talk about their hens displaying just to throw them a loop. Apparently the only reliable way to sex them is to a) wait and b) to see who's gobbling. I'm currently watching my first ever turkey poults though so I'm no expert lol. I'd guess that you have a pair and the larger is the male. Have you had a close look at the foot? Is there any external sign of injury.

I have had plenty of hen to strut and even bearded hens. They can also try to gobble, so don't go by that. I have never raised BB turkeys but I know that leg problems are very common even in young birds. What are you feeding them? If it is a 28-30% protien feed, maybe you can ration his feed to 12 hours on and 12 off. Maybe even a little lower protien so he doesn't grow too fast.

Back
Top Bottom