Meatie - Flipped, Convulsed and Died

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by rainplace, Apr 28, 2011.

1. rainplace

rainplace Interstellar Duck Academy

Our meaties are 5 weeks today. So far it's been good. Out of the 104 they shipped one was doa and we have lost no other until today.

This evening when we went out to fill their feeders one was flipped on it's back. We picked it up and it was convulsing and died within a minute.

Does anyone know what may have caused this?

I don't have the time to open it up but if need be, may be able to do so tomorrow.

2. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    It is called flip! Thats around the right time frame for it to happen too. It just happens as the body cannot handle the amount of growth it is sustaining. So they do exactly like you described-heart attacks basically. I have 26 lost 2 to flip:( sorry~

3. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    There are several ways to reduce the likelihood of
    metabolic disorders: allow the birds to have abundant
    exercise; do not overcrowd them; do not feed them an
    excessively high energy diet (some commercial rations have a
    very high energy content); keep the birds slightly hungry
    when they enter the fast growing phase (three weeks old and
    up; the meat king is not as cannibalistic as the layer so one
    can keep them a bit hungry); and ensure the ration is high in
    vitamins and lower in protein (approximately 18 percent; this
    slows down growth and reduces the chance of flip-over).

a small article for you:)

4. rainplace

rainplace Interstellar Duck Academy

thank you!

5. bucket04

bucket04 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 30, 2011
    Falcon, Colorado
    I don't have any meaties yet, but wondering... if one 'flips'.... can you process it as long as you know it is still fairly fresh (such as the OP's experience) or should it be discarded? I would assume if it's a heart attack, there is essentially nothing wrong with the meat except for the fact it won't drain all the way. [​IMG] ?

6. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    Quote:If you were there and saw it happen -yes! If it already had rigor setting in I wouldnt as the blood is coagulated inside it already and hadnt been properly bled out:(

7. GiddyMoon

GiddyMoon Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2011
    Tucson, AZ
    Isn't this one of the reasons hatcheries advise keeping them on a feed 12 hr no feed 12 hr schedule? And if another thread talks about them pulling each other's innerds out over protein..wouldn't a higher protein diet be better?

8. Recon

Recon Out Of The Brooder

Sep 12, 2008
    They say it's supposed to be reduced by a 12 on 12 off feeding schedule. They just about had me convinced it was working with my last batch, then in the 7th week (a couple weeks later than I had experienced in the past) I had one flip every day. So I'm not a believer like I thought I was going to be.

And if I am present when one of my birds flips, I process it and put it in the freezer. But if I am not present, then it is a loss. I find it to be extremely disappointing when a full sized bird that I is going to be processed on my next day off from work flips when I am gone. Grrr.

9. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    Quote:Ok EWWW!!! [​IMG] havent heard of that one. feed fulltime unitl bedtime-bedtime no food lights out! as soon as your up-feed goes back to as much as they want to eat until bed again-always leave water for them though-they drink ALOT!!!! Mine were drinking 5 gallons of water a day or more by 7 weeks (25-26) birds...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by