Meaties 2010 - A year in Review

Jeff and BigRed both, whether people listen or believe - what you guys are saying and doing is perfect, your willingness to share is an added bonus for all of us. I'm really glad I got to read this thread.

I have egg chickens, but no room for meaties, so I buy mine from a farm 1 hr away from Louisville, KY for $2.35/lb. I realize that price is a function of the geographic area and costs vary widely, but wanted to let all you know what the going rate was here.

I place my order in April for the season, which runs from late May to Mid-October, with processing once a month. My farmer weighs all the birds I buy and charges me per pound. I get an order in May and another in October to last me the entire year.

I am VERY happy to pay this for my organic, pastured cornishX's. BTW- I agree with the comments here about the CornishXs. They make a fine meat bird.;)It is not only "clean" food, but I am helping to support a wonderful way of life.

Thanks to all of you who do this for those of us without the acerage to do it ourselves.

Wow amazing thread and info, my hat's off to you guys!
bow.gif
I wish we had a market like that here for chickens!

Wow that is impressive and thank you for all the information. I am curious did you take out insurance or make a LLC to protect yourself from suit or do you just know your area and not worry about it.

Quote:
I did not take out any additional insurance. I do know all the customers and would think I would be safe, but then one never knows these days. I've had a few discussions on here about this matter, and I am of the belief that if something where to happen, it would be tough to pin blame on me. I am confident that we are careful enough when we process that there should never be any issues. THat may sound nieve, but that is how I look at it, right or wrong. I think there are some provisions in place via the ODA that protect me, as I am excempt from inspections since I do less than 1000 birds per year.

Back
Top Bottom