meaties are **3 weeks** today!

hey love those pic i really enjoy racing those chick but sadly i got 7 the past feb 17 and they were all in great conditions till all of them started sneezing and i really didnt know what to give them so they starded to die one by one its now march 19 and i only have 3 now
sad.png
the yseem to be in good conditions they dont sneez any more but i miss the other ones i even had names for some of them...,
i have never have problems with these chik till now and i really dint know what to do so they die if i knew about this site i bet they were all alive...
thank you and i really dont know if i wnana buy more soon im afraid they will die
sad.png

tomorrow i will post pics of the 3 that have made it so far.. thank you..

Quote:
Yay!! more people with meatie chicks! Mine were in the house for maybe 3 days. after that it was into the garage! I don't remember our layer chicks ever smelling that bad
sickbyc.gif
and we had them in the house for weeks!

I know huh?? I have 11 chicks in my living room that are 1 1/2 weeks old & 1 week old and I can go several days without cleaning their brooder. These little thing here eat, sleep & poop!!
hmm.png

Mine are still in the house, the temperatures here are still to cold. I ended up moving them from the Rubbermaid tub to my 4x4 whelping box. That's 16 sq feet for 10 chicks, and they STILL STINK! One more week, the temps should be up, they'll have feathers, and they are out of here!
sickbyc.gif

I'm starting to think my next go around with meaties will be with Dark Cornish. At least those I can throw out in the coop when they're older without them stinking up the place.

Well, the weather was nice today, so the meaties got to go out for a bit. The didn't actually do anything - in the 3 hours they were out, they didn't move from the spot I put them on. When I brought them back in, they dove into the food dish.
hmm.png
Oh, well. Exactly as I expected.

No pictures here, but our chicks will be 2 weeks on Wed. It should be interesting to see how our first butchering session grows. I'm purposely not paying them much attention so I wont get attached. . .since we got 40 other chicks at the same time it isn't a very hard thing to do!

With meat chicks does it make a difference if they are roos or not? I've always heard roos are tough.

frow.gif
Great, more meatie people! Welcome! Looks like your chicks are just one day younger than LindsayB and mine.

Quote:
From my understanding, the only difference you could have with a roo is that they may grow marginally faster, and dress out bigger than your hens. But meaties (Cornish x) are butchered at such a young age, there is no way it would make the meat tough. I think you're more likely to see that in a dual purpose roo that doesn't get processed until 16 - 20 weeks, or later, and that the toughness is due to age.

I think these birds stay in the ugly phase! lol... I'm trying not to interact with them and get attached too. Its pretty easy though, they're messy and stinky little buggers! the one that was acting weird and limping is still the same. She has a bid appetite though but doesn't move around as much. I hope she can make it to at least 5-6 weeks. I'd hate to see a bird go to waste...

jcfuente51- how old are your birds in the last pic?

Quote:
From my understanding, the only difference you could have with a roo is that they may grow marginally faster, and dress out bigger than your hens. But meaties (Cornish x) are butchered at such a young age, there is no way it would make the meat tough. I think you're more likely to see that in a dual purpose roo that doesn't get processed until 16 - 20 weeks, or later, and that the toughness is due to age.

And one day older than mine! We need to all set a processing date.
roll.png

Back
Top Bottom