Meaties go lame? whats going on here?

nursesammy

Songster
9 Years
Mar 21, 2010
Alta Vista , KS
I dont raise for meat. So i have no clue. But someone said something about it being typical for them to go lame. I have a broiler chicken that my son had to have as a chick because it was cute and yellow. Now hes big and lame. Is this normal? And y?

If he is getting close to 8 weeks he is probably too heavy. These birds (Cornish X) are bred to put on weight so quickly that they can not usually live past about 8 weeks unless their food is rationed. This is market driven, and a good reason to buy dual purpose meaties.

Oh wow! Yeah our is 11 wks. i wondered why he grew so much fast than my others had. Man i feel dumb! Lol oh well. So all we can do is cull him then? Thats probly best?

I wouldnt "cull" him (just kill him). If you are going to go that route you might as well butcher him and get some meat out of it. Depending on how old your son is it may be easier to just tell him it was time instead of "he's dinner". My ex-stepmother did that with one of my rabbits that broke a leg and even though I know its all mental I just can't eat rabbit anymore.

Back
Top Bottom