Meatless Chicken Treats Poll

Is Meatless Chicken a Heathy Treat for Chickens?

• OK Once in awhile

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Absolutely NOT

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • Only for adults

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • Any Time Any Age

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes Depends on Ingredients How Much

Votes: 3 60.0%

• Total voters

Boonie Stomper

Crowing
Jan 1, 2018
DC, MD, VA region
Been trolling through the back of my freezer and found a lot of vegetarian foods in there.
This tried today is Lightlife Smart Tenders meatless SAVORY CHIK'N.

Tastes good. Texture good. A small sliver resembles a tasty grub. Enter the young munchkin chirps. The keep-away party explodes! Was this bad or good for them? Can they keep playing with this treat? :idunno

Yes as long as it is of such a size that they might not choke on it.
Good point. One nice thing about veggie protein products is that the ingredients typically have been milled and blended, formed and (usually) cooked or at least pasteurized.
This means the product can easily be broken back down to mush with very little effort and / or cut or reformed as desired.

I used sliced 1/4 inch thick then cut slice into 1/4 inch "worms". The chooks have a great chase game and they grab and gulp grub size pieces from the leader easily. The shorter pieces also are easy to dole out individually.
A couple of the young ones swallowed a larger than ideal amount and were squirming to cope.
A little extra grit quickly solved the issue.

Check the sodium levels. If they’re not bad I think you’re good to use as a treat.
Here is this product's nutrition label. Im unclear if thie sodium is too high. It doesn't taste particlarly salty to my taste buds. However, the chooks were given ample water and drank a little bit more than usual, I think. It's hard to tell because during the fun they spilled a lot, too.
https://lightlife.com/product/smart-tenders-savory-chickn/

What are they made of? LOL from the name I thought it was dog food at first...
LOL... This is definitely good tasty people food. I'm sure dogs would love it as much as we do! Here's what's in this product. Noting also is 15% protein.

INGREDIENTS
TENDER: WATER, WHEAT GLUTEN, SOY PROTEIN CONCENTRATE, TAPIOCA STARCH, WHEAT STARCH, LESS THAN 2% OF: SEA SALT, YEAST EXTRACT, METHYLCELLULOSE, NATURAL FLAVOR, SALT, SODIUM ALGINATE, CALCIUM SULPHATE, POTATO STARCH. SAVORY RUB: DEHYDRATED MUSTARD, SEA SALT, EVAPORATED CANE SUGAR, ONION, SPICES, GARLIC, DEHYDRATED LEMON PEEL, PAPRIKA, NATURAL FLAVOR.

I know a lot of people are fine feeding chickens and dogs things like onions and garlic, but I do not. Citrus peel is also a no for me.

I go by what I can feed rats to decide what the chickens can have. A little more leeway for the dogs.

Back
Top Bottom