Mechanical timer for lights (in winter temps)

SteveE

Songster
May 2, 2020
Central PA
Are these mechanical style timers reliable in winter? I have been doing lights/doors manually and have as sudden trip coming up without time to experiment, so if you have tried these things in winter, please share! How did it go?

1609001846137.png

Are you using this indoors or outdoors? That's an indoor use timer.

Obviously, I'm asking about using this indoor-intended timer outdoors in winter. All sorts of things make do in a pinch, when they weren't intended that way so if you don't have experience trying it thanks anyway.

I used one of those the only winter I added lights. Add the light in the AM only so they return to the roosts naturally and don't get caught on the ground or outside.

Thanks and I know Boulder.... was your trial during a cold or warm winter? How cold did it get and still operate?

Obviously, I'm asking about using this indoor-intended timer outdoors in winter. All sorts of things make do in a pinch, when they weren't intended that way so if you don't have experience trying it thanks anyway.
I wasn't trying to being rude. I was just inquiring what your intentions are. I have outlets in my sheds and coops, so I was just wondering if your intentions were to use it outside or in. Hopefully someone else can help you.

I wasn't trying to being rude. I was just inquiring what your intentions are. I have outlets in my sheds and coops, so I was just wondering if your intentions were to use it outside or in. Hopefully someone else can help you.

Apologies; I didn't take it as rude, but I suppose my reply may have been. Like most coops mine is unconditioned space (no insulation, no HVAC, plenty of fresh air ventilation). The power hookup is out of the arctic blast and protected from precip, but its still winter temps (under the overhang, high up on the coop's exterior wall out of pecking range). It will be exposed to whatever ambient humidity/frost happens and whatever the air temp happens to be. I intend it to operate a 2ft 15 watt flourescent bulb.

Last edited:
I use these type of timers in my basement for my fish tanks. Temps run around 50 degrees down there in winter. I haven't used them in colder temperatures. These timers can fail sometimes. They stop turning stuff on and off and they just kinda stay in one place. I haven't used them in real cold temperatures, but I would assume they would work fine as long as they are out of the elements.

@aart may know.

Mine like that quit working in the cold-had two of them. I purchased digital ones at Home Depot that have been working in -20° F weather for at least two years now.

Edit to add: my mechanical timers were rated for outside use-but they quit in the very cold temps 0°F and below.

Last edited:
Thanks mamajos, the mytouchsmart looks interesting. I really like the other model, with the dual outlets and the computer brain making auto adjustments through the year, for local sunrise/sunset. Except they don't stock them on area shelves, but my area Target does offer a $12 simple 1 outlet version on the shelf, which will get me by, and it will probably have other uses after a sunsmart model arrives.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom