Mechanics......Please help me......UPDATE.............

texaschickmama

Songster
12 Years
Sep 19, 2007
Poolville, TX
Oh, no!!!! Just yesterday we bought a John Deere L130 mower. I went out to do some mowing today, and I am a total idiot. I got the choke and the throttle mixed up. I had the throttle all the way up and the choke like half way. Did I burn up the engine? I did not mow that much at all, it started to thunder. Oh, gosh please help me. My DH is gonna kill me if I ruined that mower that he bought to make my life easier. I'm like in tears now.
sad.png

Last edited:
I'm not a mechanic but I don't think you hurt anything. Does the mower start now and run? When my mower needs a tune up I usually mow with the choke on some and I always mow with my throttle all the way up.

Well, I can't get it to start now, but I had to jump it off before. Gosh, my DH is gonna be so mad at me if I ruined that thing the first time I used it, I mow with our huge tractor all the time and don't have a problem, I'm just sick.

texaschickmama,
I asked my SO. He said if it didn't run real hot while you were using it, you prob'ly just fouled out the plug. But on an air cooled motor there's a chance it got real hot. Let it cool down completely and then if it still won't start, check the plug.
Pardon the grammer, I was trying to type as he talked.
*spark plug

Last edited:
* Married to a car guy for a eon. Sounds like (guessing) that it's probably flooded and once it sets for a half-hour or so, it'll start for ya. The trick is not being tempted to try it earlier!!!! How come you had to jump start it though??? And, HEY!!! WHY is he leaving the mowing TO YOU if he doesn't want the new toy messed with?????

Last edited:
Gosh, I hope it's okay. I love to mow. He didn't even ask me too. I wanted to go mow on our new "toy". I even love to push mow. Go figure. BUT when it is 105 degrees in the summer, he can do it.
lol.png

I've got the same identical mower. I can't imagine any harm done what so ever. If you had to jump start it before that is a different problem. It might or might not have been running a little rich on gas with the choke in half way position but I doubt it. They are tough machines. Mine is like 3 yrs. old and I mow 3 acres with it all year long.
So I wouldn't be to worried with what you did. But I would want to know why I had to jump start it. If the battery is old it probably needs replacing. If it is a new machine, the alternator might not be charging.

Thanks, Yogiman, it has the original battery on it. We knew we had to replace it. I hope that is the problem. I just tried to charge and jump it off and it turns over all day long, strong, but just won't start, is it flooded? I hope..........

Married to a car guy for a eon. Sounds like (guessing) that it's probably flooded and once it sets for a half-hour or so, it'll start for ya. The trick is not being tempted to try it earlier!!!!

That's what I was thinking too.​

Back
Top Bottom