Med shade trees with non invasive root system

ImNotYogi

Songster
5 Years
Dec 8, 2014
Eastern NC
Any ideas/experience on what fits that bill? I have limited experience with trees and don't want to find out the hard way. My coop is near my septic tank by about 25-30ft.

I'm in Michigan, so maybe not so helpful, but here goes; Flowering Crabs, smaller Magnolias, Semi-dwarf fruit trees, larger shrubs like Viburnums, Lilacs, Dogwoods, American Smokebush. Mary

I ended up getting a baby gem boxwood and a compact Japanese juniper. The selection was low and I had to research as I went.

You may have good luck with something like a rhododendron. They'll provide shade, are evergreen, and their root systems are flat like pancakes. I 'm not sure how they fare in the south, but they are nearly impossible to kill in the PNW.

I'd need to look into them more for my zone (8a). Right now I have a fan in the coop. Wish I planted something sooner or could have built it closer to a tree. I was going to plant sooner but some drunk idiot drove through my yard right into the spot where I was originally going to put the coop so I had to change things.

We used to have fruit trees in our chook runs when I was a kid. That's given me an idea! Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom