Medical Treatments Recommended by BYCers

my vet recommended SSD cream (silver sulfadiazine, also called silvadene) for wounds. it's available as an rx or apparently OTC from somewhere, I have not checked it out. I googled "SSD birds" and found all kinds of articles about avian wound care with the cream.
Hope that is helpful.

The link is not working for me. Does anyone have another link to dosages for B complex, E, Niacine and PolyVisol? I he has been like this for 3 days. His legs move when he is picked up and he shows no signs of an injury. He does seem to have lost some muscle. Any advice would be appreciated.
Poultry Medications

See here for a pdf list of medications for avian use, what they treat, and problems that may arise from their use.

Treating Wounds

For dog / other animal bites that are tears rather than just punctures, and other cuts / torn flesh / open wounds that otherwise might require stitches for your chicken:

Super-Glue the edges of the wound closed.
ep.gif
Yes--really!
  1. First, apply direct pressure to stop any serious bleeding. If what you are pressing with sticks to the wound, when removing you can reduce possibility of re-starting bleeding, by dribbling a little water to loosen dried blood.
  2. The edges may be fine to glue as-is. But if needed, you can snip off any bits of skin that seem like they will just stick out and not heal, or trim the tips of any feathers that are in the way.
  3. Clean the area a bit with a damp Q-tip. Rinse the wound out with saline solution(such as the kind used for contact lenses) or a little Betadine mixed with water. Wait until the area is mostly dry before glueing (but don't introduce germs by blowing it dry with your breath, though you could try a blow dryer with a not-too-hot, very gentle setting).
    Tip: You can make saline yourself by boiling 1 tsp non-iodized salt in 2 cups water. To speed cooling, pour into another container after & put in freezer.
  4. Then just follow the instructions on the tube for glueing two surfaces together using that specific super glue (such as whether to dry applied glue a few seconds before pressing two surfaces together, how long to hold the two surfaces together afterward, etc).
  5. After a couple minutes, you can put some triple antibiotic ointment similar to Neosporin (Choose one that does NOT include "pain relief") on the glued spot. It may be helpful to apply the ointment a few times over the next few days, also, though it isn't always needed. Watch & see if the ointment seems to cause the glue to come unstuck. If so, it may be better to only apply near rather than on the cut, or to not apply any.
  6. If it looks like a significant infection occurs, give Penicillin for 4 days. Visit this link for info on giving Penicillin.
    Tip: Various antibiotics may help with various wounds, but Penicillin tends to be the most commonly effective.
  7. If the wound is on moist tissue (such as on the bird's crop, which can be especially challenging) and opens again, you might have to reapply super-glue 2-4 times a day for a few days & try to minimize bird's movement. Or you might want to add a few stitches, as well.
  • If glueing comes apart: Some of new connecting tissue may tear, but hopefully enough won't that the opening will gradually be healing. Having the wound closed most of the time should also be helping surrounding tissues to maintain their growing in correct shape & position.
  • If food is seeping from a wound on a digestive organ, you should research additional care that may be needed.

Caution: Do not glue puncture wounds because doing so would greatly risk trapping bacteria inside.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Doctors often use a sterile glue / adhesive that's similar to Super-Glue on people nowadays. But a lot of people (including me) have used plain old Super Glue on themselves & their animals very successfully!

Most recently--a few months ago I used it on a small gash that I found impossible to stitch on my horse's neck. It healed beautifully.

Last edited by a moderator:
I found this website while looking for recommended dosage time frames for tylan 50 and suggestions for swollen nasal cavity with no other symptoms. I thought it might be of some help? I don't know how accurate the info is but some seems on par with what I have read on here.

https://sites.google.com/a/poultrypedia.com/poultrypedia/medicine-chart

Thanks for spreading the word about the page! I am the compiler. Please forgive that the chart is in a hard-to-look-through format right now. I hope to be able to improve the technology & sortability of it before too long.

I have done a lot of online research (scientific studies, manufacturer info, individuals' experience, etc.) in building the chart. I've also used a number of the meds on my birds, & try to offer optimal advice. I also list many backyard-flock-size doses (calculated down from the huge-flock doses listed by some manufacturers) to make things easier for us smaller-flock people.

Please, anyone who thinks of something useful that could be added: I would welcome any contributions of reliable further info or corrections (or better technology) anyone may think of for this Poultry Medicine Chart.

Last edited:
I want to revive this thread because I am organizing my 2013 first aid kit/animal med cabinet. I am printing out all of this useful information and putting it in a 3 ring binder and am keeping it at home in the event I need it.

I have sections for all the different animals.

Thanks for the information. Very useful! :thumbsup

Can anyone help me start a thread? Trying to find out about my hens swollen legs and can't figure it out!

Back
Top Bottom