Medicated Chick feed ???

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by waterguy81, May 4, 2011.

1. waterguy81

waterguy81 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 15, 2011
    Southwest Louisiana
    I am seeing a lot of bad posts about Medicated chick feed. My chicks are 4 weeks old and I have feed them Medicated chick starter everyday sense they were 1 day old.

When is a good time to take them off of the Medicated starter and go to NON medicated starter or layer/grower feed ???

Will this hurt the chicks to keep them on medicated until they are old enough for layer feed ??

Thanks for any good advice.

2. mallory2013

mallory2013 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2011
    Eastern CT
    There are a lot of posts about on this on here, if you search you will find so mush information your eyes will cross! Lol.
    It seems to be mostly personal preferance. There are some chick starters tell you to feed intil they are six weeks and then switch to grower, some say 8 weeks, and some are starter/growers so you can feed the same feed up until they start laying (16-20 weeks). You can get medicated or nonmedicated of any onf these choices. I personally am going to feed one 50-pouund bag of medicated starter/grower until it is gone, then switch to unmedicated starter/grower. It probably won;t hurt them to keep them on the medication the entire time, but I don't think I want to feed them medication the entire time.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by