Medicated chick starter and worming??

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Albanese07, Mar 24, 2012.

1. Albanese07

Albanese07 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2012
    Florida
    I don't know if his is the correct forum but I have a question about using medicated chic starter crumbles - if using do you still need to worm the chicks ? Will adding de to thier food work and how old do they need to be to add it if needed? Thanks! :)

Last edited: Mar 24, 2012
  2. BuffOrpington88

BuffOrpington88 Non-Stop

Mar 20, 2012
    If the chicks have a worm problem, yes. The medicated feed contains coccidiostats, which do nothing to the worms. DE is not very effective, and it can cause respiratory issues.

3. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    Do they have worms?

DE is pretty much useless. I wouldn't waste my money on it or my time looking for it. I used to be a religious user of DE when I first started keeping poultry, but noticed no benefits. The only thing it is really good for is knocking the stink down in a soggy run. Useless as a wormer, and only questionably effective as a preventative for external parasites.

4. flowerchild59

flowerchild59 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2010
    Southern IL
    I relied on natural remedies for my flock and wound up getting a yard full of sick birds with lots of parasites. I still use DE as a food additive because it has trace minerals, but I do not use it as a wormer. As a wormer, it did nothing.
    I have my flock on a alternating wormer schedule. I would worm them at 14 or 16 weeks with valbazen, then use another type of wormer. There is lots of info on here regarding worming.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by