Medicated Crumbles Switch and Eating Eggs Q

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by MelindaK, Jun 27, 2010.

1. MelindaK

MelindaK Out Of The Brooder

Mar 3, 2010
    After waiting till what seems like FOREVER my hens are laying, only were on the medicated crumble starter food.

I have switched them over to regular chicken food, but have heard cannot eat the eggs because antibiotic in system.

How long do I need to wait before start eating eggs? Thank you!!!

2. Tiramisu

Tiramisu Got Mutts

May 3, 2008
    Milan PA
    Im not sure on this question and the only answer I found is common, it depends on brand. Have you looked at the instructions on the bag? It should say how long they need to be off of it for you to safely eat the eggs without having any of the medication in it.

3. Mac in Wisco

Mac in Wisco Antagonist

May 25, 2007
    SW Wisconsin
    Medicated feed has Amprolium in it to control cocci. There is no withdrawal period for it. The eggs are safe to eat.

Amprolium is not an antibiotic, but an antimicrobial. It controls the growth of cocci in the chicken's gut by inhibiting the intake of thiamine by the cocci.

4. Cindy in PA

Cindy in PA Overrun With Chickens

Jul 8, 2008
    Fleetwood, PA
    Just a caution that SOME starter feeds also have Bacitracin, an antibiotic. It is rare but Agway & a few others have both Amprol & Bacitracin, so read the label if possible so you know what is in the feed.

5. MelindaK

MelindaK Out Of The Brooder

Mar 3, 2010
    Thank you for your response. I have the Purnia Medicated Chicks.

I threw out the bag so not sure what say. I am going to see if I can look it up.

Thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by