1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

Medicated feed - can I eat them

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Schroeder, Jul 29, 2010.

1. Schroeder

Schroeder Songster

Nov 9, 2008
    Central Indiana
    My Coop
    Long story, but this morning I butchered a dozen 7 week old coturnix that had been on medicated Purina Startena until 3 days prior to processing. I mixed them in with another dozen older birds that had been on non-medicated Layena Game Bird. After the fact I vaguely remembered reading this might be a problem. I've seached through the related threads and can't get a definite answer of if I shoud eat them or not. I hate to toss them, but I don't want my family to eat them if there is chance of ill health effects. What do you think?

2. JJMR794

JJMR794 Crowing

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    Are You Allergic To Any Medications?

3. ourflockof4

ourflockof4 Chirping

Apr 9, 2010
    Northern Ohio
    You will probably get different answers, but I say go for it. I'm not familure with Purina's medicated feed, but all of the medicated feed that I have used basically only has medication to help with cocci and something else. It has a very small amount that just stays in the digestive system. So as long as your not eating the inards you will be fine.

If your feed had other meds in it though then you will want to do more research, but I doubt it does.

4. GBov

GBov Songster

Apr 3, 2009
    I would probably tent tward eating them. A once off ittsy amount of medication via quail meat is most likely not going to cause you any harm.

But if you are very worried about it do you have a dog to feed them too? That way they arnt wasted.

5. JJMR794

JJMR794 Crowing

Mar 2, 2009
    BROOKSVILLE FL
    Quote:MOST MEDICATED FEEDS NOW USE A BACITRACIN OR ERYTHROMYCIN ANTIBIOTIC... THE COCCI DRUG IS NOT APPROVED FOR USE IN QUAIL BY THE FDA. PURINA MAKES BOTH BUT IF YOU LOOK VERY CAREFULLY ON THE TAG THE COCCI MED IS AMPYLLORIUM AND IT CLEARLY STATES FOR USE IN PHEASANTS. AMPYLLORIUM DOES STAY PREDOMINATELY IN THE DIGESTIVE TRACT.... HOWEVER THE OTHER 2 MOST COMMON ARE ANTIBIOTICS THAT ARE ABSORBED SYSTEMICALLY.... THESE ARE GEARED TOWARD PREVENTING ENTERITIS IN BOB WHITES AND SO LONG AS YOU ARE NOT ALLERGIC TO THE MEDICATION YOU SHOULD BE FINE! THE AMOUNT OF ANY RESIDUAL ANTIBIOTIC IN THE FLESH WOULD BE MINIMAL FOR A HUMAN SIZED CREATURE TO INGEST.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by