Medicated feed or regular for new chicks????

Juliechickens

Songster
12 Years
Apr 7, 2007
Memphis, TN
Hi, I am in the process of an incubated hatch. I have read books saying non-medicated feed is just fine,,,,,then I watched the "Regarding Chickens" dvd,,,,,precious by the way,,,,and he recommends using medicated feed so you won't need to vacinate.
Any thoughts on this??? I bought both just so I would have it! Maybe I should do medicated feed first day then regular after that??? Help!?!
idunno.gif

If chicks are properly cared for there is no need for medicated feed. I don't use it and have had good results. If using nonmedicated feed just make sure to keep things clean and dry for your chicks. I always keep my waterers especially clean and wash them everyday.

If you are hatching them yourself....just to be safe....I would use the medicated feed. Just for a little boost with keeping them healthy and safe. Im sure there are several different opinions tho...

Well,,,no need to worry about proper care for my babies!! I have welped many litters of puppies sleeping with pups for the first 3 days....I'm a paranoid mom maybe. I will do everything in my power to make sure all babies are doing well,,,,,if and when I get stumped,,,I will be on here searching for answers! Thanks for the info though....it makes since. I also purchased gro gel plus from Mcmurray as they insist on all chicks getting this. I read on here that one lady could not get her chicks to eat it though. I guess I can try.
Any other info from people I am gladly awaiting to hear! You guys are great! I'm officially addicted to this site I think! Julie
caf.gif

I use Co-op 16 % medicated chick starter. My RIR's are now about 5 weeks old and roudy! Tractor supply has a chick starter that is 20% also. Better safe than sorry. No antibotics unless they show sings of illness though. Just the medicated chick starter and Sulfamethazine sodium 12.5% antibacterial solution added in their water. ( helps control coccidiosis and pullorum). Hope this helps.
28dayoldpeeps1.jpg

Back
Top Bottom