Medicated feed or regular for new chicks????

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Juliechickens, Apr 9, 2007.

1. Juliechickens

Juliechickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2007
    Memphis, TN
    Hi, I am in the process of an incubated hatch. I have read books saying non-medicated feed is just fine,,,,,then I watched the "Regarding Chickens" dvd,,,,,precious by the way,,,,and he recommends using medicated feed so you won't need to vacinate.
    Any thoughts on this??? I bought both just so I would have it! Maybe I should do medicated feed first day then regular after that??? Help!?![​IMG]

2. Picco

Picco Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2007
    NY
    If chicks are properly cared for there is no need for medicated feed. I don't use it and have had good results. If using nonmedicated feed just make sure to keep things clean and dry for your chicks. I always keep my waterers especially clean and wash them everyday.

3. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

If you are hatching them yourself....just to be safe....I would use the medicated feed. Just for a little boost with keeping them healthy and safe. Im sure there are several different opinions tho...

4. Juliechickens

Juliechickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2007
    Memphis, TN
    Well,,,no need to worry about proper care for my babies!! I have welped many litters of puppies sleeping with pups for the first 3 days....I'm a paranoid mom maybe. I will do everything in my power to make sure all babies are doing well,,,,,if and when I get stumped,,,I will be on here searching for answers! Thanks for the info though....it makes since. I also purchased gro gel plus from Mcmurray as they insist on all chicks getting this. I read on here that one lady could not get her chicks to eat it though. I guess I can try.
    Any other info from people I am gladly awaiting to hear! You guys are great! I'm officially addicted to this site I think! Julie [​IMG]

5. MoonGoddess

MoonGoddess Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2007
    Philly, PA
    I am using a medicated starter. I just sort of think 'better safe then sorry', you know?

6. pdavis7484

pdavis7484 Out Of The Brooder

I use Co-op 16 % medicated chick starter. My RIR's are now about 5 weeks old and roudy! Tractor supply has a chick starter that is 20% also. Better safe than sorry. No antibotics unless they show sings of illness though. Just the medicated chick starter and Sulfamethazine sodium 12.5% antibacterial solution added in their water. ( helps control coccidiosis and pullorum). Hope this helps.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by