Medicated Feed

Humhill

Songster
10 Years
Jan 14, 2010
Liberty, NC
I always keep the label from the bag I'm currently feeding in the container I store my feed in. I was feeding my RG's yesterday and something on the tag caught my attention, so I looked closer. Apparently, I've been feeding them flight developer with BMD. Stupid me for not double checking when they brought me the bag.
How bad is this? I hope I haven't caused any long-term damage to them.
So, what do I do? Throw it out and switch them to non-medicated? Or should I feed the rest of the bag up? There's no telling how long it would take them to eat it all, I only have 2 RGs. It's dosed at 200g/ton.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I would check with your feed store,they should know if it will do any damage or not.Or you could do a search online and see what it does and doesn't d:hmmther then this I couldn't tell you if it's good or bad for them.
In N.H.,Tony.

Tony I thought for sure you could tell me!! The guy at the feed store isn't 100% sure. He said it probably won't hurt them. But, the label I kept off the bag says nothing about pheasants, only quail. At the bottom it says:

"Caution: Do not feed to quail less than 1 week of age. Sporting Bird Flight Developer (BMD) Medicated feed particle size is designed for growing quail only."

I'm leaning towards not feeding it. The recommended dosage I found of BMD for pheasants is 5-50g/ton. This is 200g/ton. And, my hen has started sneezing since I put them on it.

Well if it is okay for adult quail,I would guess it is okay for pheasants.They basically eat the same feeds.What does the BMD stand for?We don't have any flight developer here that I am aware of.
In N.H.,Tony.

I know bacitracin is used in turkey feed to treat blackhead,peafowl can also get blackhead.Blackhead is deadly to pheasants,they get from the caecal worm.So I guess as long as you don't feed it on a regular basis,you should be okay.
I personally have never heard of anyones birds getting blackhead,but that surely doesn't mean it hasn't happened.That is the dosage noted to give to turkeys also the 200g per ton.And it says to treat tturkeys for 8 days.
In N.H.,Tony.

Last edited:
"Caution: Do not feed to quail less than 1 week of age. Sporting Bird Flight Developer (BMD) Medicated feed particle size is designed for growing quail only."
This is due to partical size only
BMD is safe for all ages of pheasants, Its used as a growth promotion in pheasants and a preventive for UE(Ulcerative Enteritis) in quail..It is not absorbed through the gut so it is safe to feed continuously..I've never heard of Bacitracin being used for Blackhead

Back
Top Bottom