Medicated or Non Medicated food??

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by GiGi123, Dec 10, 2010.

1. GiGi123

GiGi123 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 19, 2010
    Hello Everyone!
    I'm new to the chick raising business and my chicks should be hatching in a couple days.
    I was wondering about medicated and non medicated food.
    Does anyone used medicated feed and likes it???

thanks,
    gigi

2. wilkey44

wilkey44 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 14, 2010
    Central Oklahoma
    I start my chicks out on a enriched corn meal for a couple of days then go to a Quail medicated starter its better then the chicken medicated starter or if you want to go unmedicated use the turkey starter it cost a little bit more then chicken starter but I like it better both both turkey and Quail are between 23-25% protein

3. Kittymomma

Kittymomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    I don't do medicated because I let broody hens raise most of my replacement chicks. I have a mixed age/species flock so I use gamebird feed for everyone and keep oystershell out freechoice so the layers can meet their calcium needs and Corid in the cupboard in case I have a cocci outbreak. The thing you have to remember if you choose to go non-medicated is that cocci can kill quickly, but it also responds well to treatment which is why I keep the Corid handy.

4. scbatz33

scbatz33 No Vacancy, Belfry Full

Jan 23, 2009
    South GA
    I have used both. My opinion is is you have a small space for them to grow out in, medicated feed is better because you get the added protection from coccidiosis strains. I think the bigger concern is the quality of the feed and the % protien to give them a good start.

5. GiGi123

GiGi123 Out Of The Brooder

Nov 19, 2010
    Thanks you everyone for all your help!!

Gigi

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by