Medicated or Non Medicated food??

GiGi123

In the Brooder
9 Years
Nov 19, 2010
Hello Everyone!
I'm new to the chick raising business and my chicks should be hatching in a couple days.
I was wondering about medicated and non medicated food.
Does anyone used medicated feed and likes it???

thanks,
gigi

I start my chicks out on a enriched corn meal for a couple of days then go to a Quail medicated starter its better then the chicken medicated starter or if you want to go unmedicated use the turkey starter it cost a little bit more then chicken starter but I like it better both both turkey and Quail are between 23-25% protein

I don't do medicated because I let broody hens raise most of my replacement chicks. I have a mixed age/species flock so I use gamebird feed for everyone and keep oystershell out freechoice so the layers can meet their calcium needs and Corid in the cupboard in case I have a cocci outbreak. The thing you have to remember if you choose to go non-medicated is that cocci can kill quickly, but it also responds well to treatment which is why I keep the Corid handy.

I have used both. My opinion is is you have a small space for them to grow out in, medicated feed is better because you get the added protection from coccidiosis strains. I think the bigger concern is the quality of the feed and the % protien to give them a good start.

Back
Top Bottom