Medicated or non medicated

Hi everyone,
I am new here also and I am a week in to my first hatch. I read somewhere that since I hatched my chicks and didn't buy them,I should use madicated feed because the breeder's vaccinat their chicks, and mine aren't.
My question is since I have started them on it ,and they are doing great, when should I take them off of it and go with regular non medicated?
I fed my chicks medicated feed for 16 weeks, but have since read that it's not helpful after 10 weeks. My 11 month old pullets
have been healthy since I got them as day old chicks. GC

Last edited:
I didn't know there was a vaccination for cocci and am giving my chicks medicated feed. Is it bad to give them if they were vaccinated?
The vaccine is optional and extra cost when you order chicks from a hatchery, unless stated otherwise.
I've never seen or bought chicks at a feed store or TSC that were vaccinated for Coccidiosis.
So I have nullified the vaccine I might as well continue with the medicated feed.
Yes. GC

Breeders/hatcheries do NOT regularly vaccinate against cocci. Cocci is what the medicated feed is targeted for.

It's all about timing. Read lazygardener's post above. If you're giving them medicated feed and they're in the brooder, great. But when they really need it is when they hit the dirt. Before that, they're not really exposed.

Since you live in Arkansas, I'm thinking you're warm and wet, which does increase your chances of a big cocci load in your soil. Warm and wet is what the little buggers love.

You can either continue with the medicated feed for a few weeks after they're on the dirt, or take them off and watch them closely. First signs are ruffled feathers, hunched over, lethargic. Bloody poops come a day or so later and by then you may be losing chicks. Be sure you have access to Corid, which is the medication used to treat cocci outbreaks. You'll need to get it to them ASAP after you notice symptoms, waiting for 3 day shipping will get you dead chicks.

You can also start exposing them now, to help build immunity. Take some soil from the yard and put it in the brooder. Gives them something to do, they learn to scratch, etc, and exposes them to a light load of whatever you have in your soil.
I just ordered 23 chicks from Murray McMurray and I am having them vaccinated for Marek’s and Coccidiosis. I read that if I feed them medicated feed after they have been vaccinated, the vaccination 💉 will no longer protect them (the medicated feed and vaccine will cancel each other out).

Attachments

• 13C2933F-B9C1-4142-A30C-98F0A97B25A8.jpeg
    13C2933F-B9C1-4142-A30C-98F0A97B25A8.jpeg
    382.8 KB · Views: 2
I read that if I feed them medicated feed after they have been vaccinated, the vaccination 💉 will no longer protect them (the medicated feed and vaccine will cancel each other out).
The Medicated feed will nullify the Coccidiosis vaccine, not the Marek's.
So the Medicated feed will still help to Prevent Coccidiosis even though the Coccidiosis vaccine is nullified.
But since you paid for the Vaccine, just be sure to buy a Non-Medicated Starter-Grower. GC

Back
Top Bottom