medicated or organic chick starter

SomeHotChicks

In the Brooder
Apr 30, 2017
Oregon
My Coop
My Coop
What one is better? I like my chick to be organic but I want what best for them. Where I am getting my chick they don't get any shots. So i don't know what feed is better.

I have never used medicated chick starter, I think it's ridiculous that they even sell it as much as they do. Yes, there are times when it is needed, but that is the only time I ever use it. It's to control coccidiosis in chicks, but it's so overused it's not the most effective stuff anymore. Most healthy chicks don't get coccidiosis. We've never had chicks with it, although we've had our older chickens get it a couple of times. Stick with the non medicated chick starter or Start n Grow by Dumor. Or organic, if you prefer.

I use one bag of medicated starter, why take the chance I've always had healthy chicks .
Most healthy chicks don't get coccidiosis.....
and I own a boarding kennel and most dogs don't get bordetella, but vets still prefer to vaccinate for it as a preventive...

You'll have to decide ,
We won't agree with each other

Amprolium is allowed for organic chicks, if you can find an organic chick starter that includes it. You find out the hard way if your ground is overendowed with coccidia, when your chicks are sick with that parasite. Many of us are blessed with very low or no coccidia in our soil, and don't need to feed the medicated chick starter. Everyone isn't so lucky! If you plan to do organic, look up the standards so you know what's required. Mary

Mary's above post is spot on.

It's personal preference if you raise livestock organic or not. Medicated feed is only for cocci. If your in the South then cocci is more prevalent in soils. If a person has a fixed run then over years the soil will become what's called poultry sick. It has a high concentration of cocci. Cocci is natural, chickens' bodies are able to deal with high concentrations when they are older. It's as chicks if there is a problem with your soil they will become ill fast and many will perish if not treated immediately with Amporlium. As a new chicken owner your only dealing with natural soil levels of the parasite. Ask locally to your area if there is a problem or need for medicated. Odds are there is not a need at all but educating yourself from local chicken people would be the way to go.

Thank you all. I think we just going to feed them organic chick feed our grange co-op didn't even have Medicated chick feed. I just order everything last night after talking to Egghead_Jr and some others everyone has been so helpful thank you all so much. With all the help from BYC I know our chick will be happy. Thank you Egghead_Jr you been so much help.
bow.gif

If it will help you any I don't know of any chicks that get any "SHOTS"

In fact it is forevermore illegal to even produce any vaccines for the worst chick diseases.

Doing so will result in false positive antigen blood test and that will bring on needless killing of all your birds by the USDA in a failed attempt by big brother to control a non-existent disease.

I suspect that a fowl pox vaccination is as close as a chick ever comes to getting a shot.

I use one bag of medicated starter, why take the chance I've always had healthy chicks .
Most healthy chicks don't get coccidiosis.....
and I own a boarding kennel and most dogs don't get bordetella, but vets still prefer to vaccinate for it as a preventive...

You'll have to decide ,
We won't agree with each other

You take the chance because it is so easy to resolve if they do get it. As long as you pay attention, you're fine.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom