medicated or organic chick starter

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by SomeHotChicks, Apr 30, 2017.

1. SomeHotChicks

SomeHotChicks Out Of The Brooder

Apr 30, 2017
    Oregon
    My Coop
    What one is better? I like my chick to be organic but I want what best for them. Where I am getting my chick they don't get any shots. So i don't know what feed is better.

2. chicknmania

chicknmania Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 26, 2007
    central Ohio
    I have never used medicated chick starter, I think it's ridiculous that they even sell it as much as they do. Yes, there are times when it is needed, but that is the only time I ever use it. It's to control coccidiosis in chicks, but it's so overused it's not the most effective stuff anymore. Most healthy chicks don't get coccidiosis. We've never had chicks with it, although we've had our older chickens get it a couple of times. Stick with the non medicated chick starter or Start n Grow by Dumor. Or organic, if you prefer.

3. snow5164

snow5164 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2015
    Canada
    I use one bag of medicated starter, why take the chance I've always had healthy chicks .
    Most healthy chicks don't get coccidiosis.....
    and I own a boarding kennel and most dogs don't get bordetella, but vets still prefer to vaccinate for it as a preventive...

You'll have to decide ,
    We won't agree with each other

4. Folly's place

Folly's place Chicken Obsessed

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    Amprolium is allowed for organic chicks, if you can find an organic chick starter that includes it. You find out the hard way if your ground is overendowed with coccidia, when your chicks are sick with that parasite. Many of us are blessed with very low or no coccidia in our soil, and don't need to feed the medicated chick starter. Everyone isn't so lucky! If you plan to do organic, look up the standards so you know what's required. Mary

3 people like this.
  5. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    Mary's above post is spot on.

It's personal preference if you raise livestock organic or not. Medicated feed is only for cocci. If your in the South then cocci is more prevalent in soils. If a person has a fixed run then over years the soil will become what's called poultry sick. It has a high concentration of cocci. Cocci is natural, chickens' bodies are able to deal with high concentrations when they are older. It's as chicks if there is a problem with your soil they will become ill fast and many will perish if not treated immediately with Amporlium. As a new chicken owner your only dealing with natural soil levels of the parasite. Ask locally to your area if there is a problem or need for medicated. Odds are there is not a need at all but educating yourself from local chicken people would be the way to go.

1 person likes this.
  6. SomeHotChicks

Apr 30, 2017
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Thank you all. I think we just going to feed them organic chick feed our grange co-op didn't even have Medicated chick feed. I just order everything last night after talking to Egghead_Jr and some others everyone has been so helpful thank you all so much. With all the help from BYC I know our chick will be happy. Thank you Egghead_Jr you been so much help. [​IMG]

7. chickengeorgeto

chickengeorgeto Overrun With Chickens

Dec 25, 2012
    If it will help you any I don't know of any chicks that get any "SHOTS"

In fact it is forevermore illegal to even produce any vaccines for the worst chick diseases.

Doing so will result in false positive antigen blood test and that will bring on needless killing of all your birds by the USDA in a failed attempt by big brother to control a non-existent disease.

I suspect that a fowl pox vaccination is as close as a chick ever comes to getting a shot.

1 person likes this.
  8. chickengeorgeto

chickengeorgeto Overrun With Chickens

Dec 25, 2012
    The active ingredient in so called "MEDICATED" chick feed is similar to the vitamin "NIACIN" found in fortified flour and bread that your government and mine mandates in every slice of loaf bread.

9. chicknmania

chicknmania Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 26, 2007
    central Ohio
    You take the chance because it is so easy to resolve if they do get it. As long as you pay attention, you're fine.

Last edited: May 1, 2017
  10. SomeHotChicks

Apr 30, 2017
    Oregon
    My Coop
    thank you I'm Learning so much on BYC everyone is so nice too!! [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by