medicated start and grow feed

Metryman

Hatching
7 Years
Mar 22, 2012
Jefferson, La
Was wondering how long should I feed my pullets medicated chick feed. I have 6 week old Ameracauna and 3 week old Buffs. they are outside eating grass, bugs and whatever else they can catch that enters the coop and run as well.

Dennis

It is really a matter of personal choice. We choose not to feed medicated feed at all. If you want to switch, I would mix the two feeds together for a few days to get them used to it gradually shifting to the new feed. If you stick with the same brand, they will likely not notice at all or have any ill effects. If you are feeding medicated to prevent/treat a specific illness or concern, then you need to follow the directions on the bag or research how long they need to build up their own immunity.

I was giving medicated feed as a precaution only. On second bag of it now and only have 5 chicks, they have been healthy happy chicks since I go them. Have sack of regular starter feed that is same brand so will continue with that when medicated feed runs out.
Thanks a bunch
Dennis

I have some 6 - 8 wks that I have just switched to crumbles. I would have kept them on the medicated longer but I have over 100 birds & I have to try to keep cost down where possible. Also I moved some into a cage in the hen house & I was afraid of the hens eating the medicated feed because it could contaminate the eggs (so I've read)

I only have 5 pullets. So easy for me to switch without fret. They are on crumbles they seem to love them so will keep them on it.
I had read that about the possible egg contamination why my concern when to wean off medicated feed but have time to get them to consume that before eggs are laid . Have bought the un medicated crumbles and will use that when medicated runs out.

Back
Top Bottom