Medicated vs non-Medicated Starter feed

EggheadsRus

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jun 22, 2011
I am looking at different starter/grower feeds for my new chicks (which will arrive in a couple of weeks). I am ordering my chicks from MyPetChicken and plan on having them vaccinated for Marek's. I was told by the lady at McMurrays that if I have my chicks vaccinated I shouldn't give them medicated feed. (I was originally going to order my chicks from McMurrays but they have a minimum order of 25) I live in MS and am having a hard time finding organic/non-medicated feed and the shipping costs online are prohibitive!!

Dazed and confused....

EggheadsRus

Medicated feed is ordinarily medicated with amprolium, which helps them develop a natural immunity to cocci. This has nothing to do with Marek's, and you could give them medicated feed if they were only vaccinated for Marek's. However, there is also a vaccine for cocci, and if you had them vaccinated with this one, you should probably follow their directions, or read up on the cocci vaccine, which I don't know anything about.

Quote:
Thanks classicredone and ddawn, that is what I needed to know.
big_smile.png
I was going to try feeding organic chick starter/grower/layer but it seems that is going to be way to difficult to find in my neck of the woods (MS). So I will go with the Purina Start&Grow and then the Layena when they are old enough.

Do any of you feed Babycakes to their chicks? And how long does a 2.75 lb forage cake last for say 14 grown chickens?

EggheadsRus

Back
Top Bottom