medicated vs non-medicated

TLWR

Crowing
11 Years
Jul 10, 2010
southern AL
It seems the medicated feed is mainly to prevent coccidia.
My options for sexed birds locally are TSC and 2 other feed stores.
There is a farm near me that sells at the chicken swap out or local feed store (that doesn't sell anything but feed), but she doesn't sex, so unless it is a breed you can visually sex, you get what you get.
There used to also be a semi feed store/chicken place - he used to hatch a bunch. I'm not sure if he sexes or not, but what I've seen in the crapton of eggs in the brooder, but they are mixed (he knows what the eggs are going in, but once hatched... they are all together - maybe he knows what is in there well enough to know what is what).

Right now, my plan is obtaining locally rather than ship since I really only want 2.

The 3 feed stores would be chicks from a hatchery.
The farm and the other guy would be their eggs hatched locally.

Chick days brings a run on chick starter, so I figured I'd grab some soon while I still have a selection.
So medicated or not?

Ask 10 people and you will get 5 yes 5 no.
big_smile.png
I have done both ways and never had a problem. No matter what you decide, know the symptoms of coccidiosis so you can recognize it and treat early.

This will give you good information.

Coccidiosis And Medicated Feed - BackYard Chickens ...

The only thing I would add is sunlight and dry conditions kill coccidia in the environment. If your birds are confined, keeping the area dry with the ability to expose it to sunlight every so often will help prevent unhealthy levels of cocci. Freezing temps will also kill it.

Hope the link works now.

Last edited:
I personally use a medicated chick starter but its all up to how your management style and area if you want med, or not
but be sure to have a sulfur drug handy so you can act fast if your flock gets hit with caccidoise .

If you choose not to feed medicated, then be sure to have Corid or something similar on hand. Coccidia can kill chicks very quickly. The medication in medicated feed is usually amprollium, a thiamine blocker. It's completely safe to use, and does not linger in a chicken's tissues.

Back
Top Bottom