Medications and pesticide withdrawal times for layers

In the us if a pesticide is not labeled for use in a species that equals banned if the species in question is a food animal (eggs or meat or milk)
This is a food safety rule and does not apply to non food producing animals

Last edited:
In the us if a pesticide is not labeled for use in a species that equals banned if the species in question is a food animal (eggs or meat or milk)
This is a food safety rule and does not apply to non food producing animals
So tell me why carbaryl is no longer labeled for use in food animals?

-Kathy

because they found it persists in the animals too long from what I read, even after just one application

http://www.farad.org/publications/miscellaneous/LayingHensEggResidues.pdf

"Carbamates. Carbamates (e.g. carbaryl, propoxur) are reversible acetylcholinesterase inhibitors derived from a toxic substance found in Calabar beans, the seeds of Physostigma venenosum (Blagburn & Lindsay, 2001). Some carbamates are used to treat ticks, mites, and lice in poultry and livestock (Blagburn & Lindsay, 2001). Orally administered carbamates are well absorbed from the GI tract in chickens and widely distributed to tissues (Hicks et al., 1970). The major pathway of excretion is via the urine, but eggs laid during and after treatment also contain low-level residues (Paulson et al., 1972). Carbamate residues occur in both egg yolk and albumen, but are more persistent in yolk (Paulson & Feil, 1969; Andrawes et al., 1972) (Table 12). Following topical administration, available data suggest that carbamates can be absorbed and metabolized to a significant degree, and long-lasting residues occur in eggs (Table 12) (Ivey et al., 1984)."

Last edited:
because they found it persists in the animals too long from what I read, even after just one application

"Carbamates. Carbamates (e.g. carbaryl, propoxur) are reversible acetylcholinesterase inhibitors derived from a toxic substance found in Calabar beans, the seeds of Physostigma venenosum (Blagburn & Lindsay, 2001). Some carbamates are used to treat ticks, mites, and lice in poultry and livestock (Blagburn & Lindsay, 2001). Orally administered carbamates are well absorbed from the GI tract in chickens and widely distributed to tissues (Hicks et al., 1970). The major pathway of excretion is via the urine, but eggs laid during and after treatment also contain low-level residues (Paulson et al., 1972). Carbamate residues occur in both egg yolk and albumen, but are more persistent in yolk (Paulson & Feil, 1969; Andrawes et al., 1972) (Table 12). Following topical administration, available data suggest that carbamates can be absorbed and metabolized to a significant degree, and long-lasting residues occur in eggs (Table 12) (Ivey et al., 1984)."
Look at the PDF again, and look at the residue from when dust was used.

-Kathy

I am just telling you the explanation I was given
Sevin has been off the approved for poultry list since 2010
You want to use it for your personal flock and don't sell meat or eggs have at it

Kathy
I emailed FARAD and asked here is the reply
Dear Dr. Richardson,

For Carbaryl the label has been changed, taking away the indication for chickens, so it became illegal to use it in poultry. Since there is no longer a tolerance for carbaryl in eggs, any residue is considered a violation. In addition, Sevin dust is a pesticide and all the pesticides are regulated by the EPA, it does not fall under AMDUCA which allows extra label use of FDA approved medications in food animals. You may be able to find more information on the EPA website, as they are the governing body for insecticides.

For fipronil, it is also a pesticide approved by the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), not the FDA. According to the Animal Medicinal Drug Use Clarification Act (AMDUCA), extra label drug use (ELDU) is only permissible for FDA approved drugs. In addition, we don’t have any data on the use of fipronil in poultry. Due to lack of information we recommend never eating the meat or eggs of poultry treated with fipronil.

Thank you for contacting FARAD. Please let us know if we can be of any further assistance.

----
US FARAD
http://www.farad.org

I read Paulson et al., 1972. Chickens were given 1 oral dose of carbaryl. After 12 days 0.33% of the single 10mg/kg body weight dose was found in the eggs. Less than 1% of the dose seems pretty low to me. Sounds like Farad has gone from allowing tiny amounts of residue to a flat out zero residues policy. Which was probably wise given that on large scale poultry farms carbaryl could easily be abused. Now, Johnson et al., 1963 showed that there were 0 days that any eggs contained any residues after dusting, but that after using a carbaryl dip residues persisted over 56 days. Ivey et al., 1984 also found that residues persisted after 56 days in eggs when chickens were DIPPED (they did not look at dust). Even then the residues were low and at no point during the study did levels exceed the 0.5ppm accepted levels at the time. At the 56 day mark the eggs had 0.01ppm residue. Given that dusting and dipping and oral are all different methods of medicating the birds and seem to have different residue times, its hard to judge a good withdrawal time to be 100% carbaryl free, but if I had to use it (the dust) I'm an overly cautious person, I'd follow the dip residue times and withhold eggs for 6-8weeks.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom