Medications and pesticide withdrawal times for layers

rottlady

Songster
Mar 20, 2016
Georges Mills, NH
https://www.facebook.com/frontierrots/posts/10210059192089107

Chicken owning friends.
This document will be of interest.
Note "lifetime withdrawal" means never eat eggs from that hen again because of persisting residue OR lack of information on product in laying hens

Veterinarian who wrote this, referenced the FARAD website http://www.farad.org/

Common Egg Withdrawal Times in the US

LAURA CHAMBERLAIN PYLMAN·SATURDAY, AUGUST 1, 2015

Approved Products for Laying Hens

Amprolium (Corid) - No egg withdrawal when used at labeled dose
Permethrin (Permectrin II, ProZap, etc) - No egg withdrawal when used according to label directions
Spinosaid (Elector PSP) - No egg withdrawal when used according to label directions
Hygromycin B (as a feed additive at labeled dose) -No egg withdrawal
Nystatin (as a feed additive at 100g/ton) -No egg withdrawal
Not Approved (can only be used by veterinary prescription even when availabe OTC, consult your veterinarian for withdrawal times appropriate to your specific situation)
Ivermectin (any dose) -8 week withdrawal
Piperazine (Wazine) (label dose) -17day withdrawal
Oxytetracycline in water (800mg label dose) -14days for personal consumption, 8 weeks for sold eggs or known sensitivities
Tetracycline in water (Duramycin 10) (label dose) -14 days, 8 weeks for sold eggs or known sensitivities
Sulfamethazine (Sulmet) (full label dose) -21 days
Sulfadimethoxine (Albon) (label dose) -21 days
Tylosin injectable (Tylan) -8 weeks due to lack of studies
Tylosin orally -14 days at treatment dose (no withdrawal at approved feed additive dose)
Levamisole (Prohibit) -21days
Albendazole (Valbazen) -14days
Fenbendazole (Safe Guard) (10mg/kg x3 days) -17days
Pyrantel -8weeks due to lack of any studies showing elimination times in eggs

Not Allowed

All pesticides not specifically labeled. Pesticides are not allowed to be used extra label

Fipronil (Frontline) -lifetime withdrawal per FARAD
Carbaryl (Sevin) -lifetime withdrawal per FARAD
STRICTLY PROHIBITED -ILLEGAL TO USE lifetime withdrawal
Fluoroquinolones (Baytril, Cipro, etc)
Metronidazole (Flagyl) and other drugs in this family (Nitroimidazoles)
Chloramphenicol
Clenbuterol (ventipulmin)
Diethylsilbesterol (DES)
Glycopeptides (vancomycin,etc)
Nitrofurans (Furazone, etc)
Cephalosporins (excede, naxcel, etc)
Antivirals

Please do not remove this information. This is property of Chicken Vet Corner
written by Dr Pylman
00a9.png

Last edited:
Kathy
I emailed FARAD and asked here is the reply
Dear Dr. Richardson,

For Carbaryl the label has been changed, taking away the indication for chickens, so it became illegal to use it in poultry. Since there is no longer a tolerance for carbaryl in eggs, any residue is considered a violation. In addition, Sevin dust is a pesticide and all the pesticides are regulated by the EPA, it does not fall under AMDUCA which allows extra label use of FDA approved medications in food animals. You may be able to find more information on the EPA website, as they are the governing body for insecticides.

For fipronil, it is also a pesticide approved by the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), not the FDA. According to the Animal Medicinal Drug Use Clarification Act (AMDUCA), extra label drug use (ELDU) is only permissible for FDA approved drugs. In addition, we don’t have any data on the use of fipronil in poultry. Due to lack of information we recommend never eating the meat or eggs of poultry treated with fipronil.

Thank you for contacting FARAD. Please let us know if we can be of any further assistance.

----
US FARAD
http://www.farad.org

With pesticides there is no off label use permitted if it does not specify a food animal species it cannot be used on them
It is not my interpretation of the law all the vets on that page agree I suspect if you yourself wrote to farad as the website says you can they would tell you more details
Terminate use means banned in epa terms regarding a legal product and livestock

I do know both Sevin and fipronil linger in the animals including repro tract in excess of 8 weeks per residue testing not sure if they discovered how long it stays but all the avian vets and farm vets agree the use of those products = never bring able to sell eggs or meat from those birds because of the rules

Last edited:
I read Paulson et al., 1972. Chickens were given 1 oral dose of carbaryl. After 12 days 0.33% of the single 10mg/kg body weight dose was found in the eggs. Less than 1% of the dose seems pretty low to me. Sounds like Farad has gone from allowing tiny amounts of residue to a flat out zero residues policy. Which was probably wise given that on large scale poultry farms carbaryl could easily be abused. Now, Johnson et al., 1963 showed that there were 0 days that any eggs contained any residues after dusting, but that after using a carbaryl dip residues persisted over 56 days. Ivey et al., 1984 also found that residues persisted after 56 days in eggs when chickens were DIPPED (they did not look at dust). Even then the residues were low and at no point during the study did levels exceed the 0.5ppm accepted levels at the time. At the 56 day mark the eggs had 0.01ppm residue. Given that dusting and dipping and oral are all different methods of medicating the birds and seem to have different residue times, its hard to judge a good withdrawal time to be 100% carbaryl free, but if I had to use it (the dust) I'm an overly cautious person, I'd follow the dip residue times and withhold eggs for 6-8weeks.
LOL. What knucklehead gives their chickens carbaryl orally? I dont know any chicken owners that gives their birds carbaryl orally.
I've used both the Sevin dust and liquid concentrate before on chickens. I did not dip them with the liquid, I used a spray bottle to spray them. I'm still here typing.
I ended up switching to Permethrin dust due to carbaryl resistance by a small lice problem I was dealing with. The Permethrin took care of the problem.

LOL. What knucklehead gives their chickens carbaryl orally? I dont know any chicken owners that gives their birds carbaryl orally.
I've used both the Sevin dust and liquid concentrate before on chickens. I did not dip them with the liquid, I used a spray bottle to spray them. I'm still here typing.
I ended up switching to Permethrin dust due to carbaryl resistance by a small lice problem I was dealing with. The Permethrin took care of the problem.
Haha I though the same thing, who is out there feeding this stuff to their birds? It's probably large scale farms who would give it orally. You can't possibly dip or dust every bird when you have 100's or 1000's of them.

https://www.facebook.com/frontierrots/posts/10210059192089107

Chicken owning friends.
This document will be of interest.
Note "lifetime withdrawal" means never eat eggs from that hen again because of persisting residue OR lack of information on product in laying hens

Veterinarian who wrote this, referenced the FARAD website http://www.farad.org/

Common Egg Withdrawal Times in the US

LAURA CHAMBERLAIN PYLMAN·SATURDAY, AUGUST 1, 2015

Approved Products for Laying Hens

Amprolium (Corid) - No egg withdrawal when used at labeled dose
Permethrin (Permectrin II, ProZap, etc) - No egg withdrawal when used according to label directions
Spinosaid (Elector PSP) - No egg withdrawal when used according to label directions
Hygromycin B (as a feed additive at labeled dose) -No egg withdrawal
Nystatin (as a feed additive at 100g/ton) -No egg withdrawal
Not Approved (can only be used by veterinary prescription even when availabe OTC, consult your veterinarian for withdrawal times appropriate to your specific situation)
Ivermectin (any dose) -8 week withdrawal
Piperazine (Wazine) (label dose) -17day withdrawal
Oxytetracycline in water (800mg label dose) -14days for personal consumption, 8 weeks for sold eggs or known sensitivities
Tetracycline in water (Duramycin 10) (label dose) -14 days, 8 weeks for sold eggs or known sensitivities
Sulfamethazine (Sulmet) (full label dose) -21 days
Sulfadimethoxine (Albon) (label dose) -21 days
Tylosin injectable (Tylan) -8 weeks due to lack of studies
Tylosin orally -14 days at treatment dose (no withdrawal at approved feed additive dose)
Levamisole (Prohibit) -21days
Albendazole (Valbazen) -14days
Fenbendazole (Safe Guard) (10mg/kg x3 days) -17days
Pyrantel -8weeks due to lack of any studies showing elimination times in eggs

Not Allowed

All pesticides not specifically labeled. Pesticides are not allowed to be used extra label

Fipronil (Frontline) -lifetime withdrawal per FARAD
Carbaryl (Sevin) -lifetime withdrawal per FARAD

Last edited:
What the vets are saying is that per farad any pesticide not specifically labeled for poultry is considered extra label use. Extra label use in laying hens of pesticide is unpermitted
But I will ask the vets on the chicken vet group for the specific info for fipronil
Additionally per US regulations Sevin has been banned from the use in laying hens since 2010
https://www.federalregister.gov/doc...ses-and-eliminate-certain-application-methods

Back
Top Bottom