Medicine for geese

Discussion in 'Geese' started by noahsgeese, Jun 16, 2010.

1. servpolice

servpolice Songster

Oct 10, 2013
    Ireland
    Can anyone tell me what is wrong with my african gander : he turned really skinny but acts normal but still really skinny compared to what weight he was and he also has a white spit looking stuff around his eyes ?!?!?

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Loving this country life

If you'll start your own thread about your gander I think you'll get more people to help.

Questions What do you feed him? has he ever been wormed and how long has this been going on? have you ever had him on any type of antibiotic? also how old is he? and any of your other geese acting like him? do they have clean water to wash their faces in? very important.

3. servpolice

servpolice Songster

Oct 10, 2013
    Ireland
    Ok ill answer all i give the geese including him is leftovers they love uncooked rice and they have plenty of grass i got him earlier this year from a man and he came with four other buffs and he was wormed every so often the man said but i never worm geese coz i dont see the point really ? Since i can remmber since june and he was never on a antibotic. Hes around 4 years old i think one of his mates hadthe same eye condition but is gone now and they have a river to swim in so that has plenty of fresh water

i hope my answer is ringing bells

4. Miss Lydia

Uncooked rice? please don't tell me that's all you give your geese besides the grass they are getting, what do they eat in the winter when there is not any grass to eat. I'm thinking they are starved. Geese need a balanced feed along with grazing. I'm surprised he hasn't died. I'm not trying to be cruel but geese cannot survive only on grass. What happened to his mate that had the same eye condition?
    http://poultryone.com/raisinggeese-php I understand pasture is very important for geese but and maybe I am wrong I think geese need a supplementation of feed along with grazing. Good quality feed.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2013
  5. servpolice

servpolice Songster

Oct 10, 2013
    Ireland
    Em in winter i give my geese rolled oats and barley and maze flakes in summer and now they go in the field in morning and in the evening they com home when its dark and they are never starved because they stuff their faces with leftovers and forgot to say we get 4 bags of outofdate bread from the bakery every sunday and wednesday so food is diffently not the problem and offcourse geese can surive on grass alone its their number one fav food at my point of veiw and what happens if u dont worm geese?!

6. RURU

RURU Songster

Jan 25, 2011
    Troy, Missouri
    My Coop
    You are not caring for your geese nutritional needs. Sorry to be so harsh but that is not the right food to feed geese. Bread has no values in their diet except to fill them up. Your geese are under weight and getting sick because they are not getting a proper diet of waterfowl feed. The feed you are providing is not keeping them healthy. Yes, grass is very important but so is a good feed source and game bird or waterfowl feed is necessary food to be fed. If you keep feeding what you are feeding now the geese will die on you through the winter!
    They need to be built up for the winter. Yes, you need to worm your geese because they do get worms and they can kill them also.

You came on here to ask what is going on with your goose and this is what is going on with it.

You need to go to your feed store and get a good waterfowl feed or game bird feed for your geese.

7. servpolice

servpolice Songster

Oct 10, 2013
    Ireland
    Em they are kinda overweight actually and i only give em feed for the winter and twice a week in other seasons so food and water arent the problem trust me!

Should i make a pic of the gander

8. Miss Lydia

Yes please do. and feeding bread can cause them to gain weight but not the right kind.

9. servpolice

servpolice Songster

Oct 10, 2013
    Ireland
    Ok ill wait till they walk home when its feeding time which is at 6 o clock here in ireland

10. servpolice

servpolice Songster

Oct 10, 2013
    Ireland
    what does bread do to geese ?!?!?!?!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: