Medicine for geese

what does bread do to geese ?!?!?!?!
It's just a filler and full of carbohydrates, which aren't bad if used in moderation. I do give a small amount of whole wheat bread or Oatmeal bread to my flock a week mainly because my Muscovy's love catching things in mid air. But it's very little and only once a week. Feeding your geese uncooked rice can't have much nutritional advantage especially with out other grains to help balance it all out. Bread makes geese and people fat if they eat too much of it. And from all I read it's hard for them to digest too. I know people in other parts of the world feed their flocks differently but we still have the responsibility of making sure they have good nutrition for good health. Geese are hardy animals if taken care of properly. That doesn't mean they won't get disease but if taken care of properly can keep from it easier than other poultry. We are stewards of the earth including the animals.

Wow alot of info there i didnt know and i thought i knew everything about geese! But anyway here are the photos of my buff gander and the photos are not great coz the buff africans arent as tame as the browns but anyway here you go :

As Miss Lydia said bread only makes them fat but it is the very wrong kind of fat. This is not good fat to help through out the winter. So hopefully you can start a better diet on your geese to help them make it through the winter.

Rice has no food value to it for geese or any type bird.

If you can get cleaned whole oats, wheat, barley and waterfowl or game bird feed and mix that into it this would be great for them. It will get rid of the fat that is causing them to be over weight like people who eat too much bread and get way over weight. This diet will improve the good fat for the geese and help maintain a good weight for them too.

Ok im aware of bread now and i give them maze flakes and oats twice a week and i pour the rice in the river so they dunk their heads underwater and they love it and i dont put feed like oats barley flakes coz they float and its proper feed and i only give rice in the morning and bread,veg,and feed for dinner and ive being doing this for 11 years

Your geese are beautiful and looking at pics isn't the same as right there in front of them or hands on. especially when it comes to body weight, can't feel the keel to see if it's bony for one things. feathers cover a lot. So there you have it we have tried to explain what is best for your geese and I am not an expert by any stretch of the imagination, I've learned a lot since having water fowl over 9 years but I know I still have a lot to learn. Maybe Clint will share if he has knowledge about nutrition for geese. I think if your gander is having issues with his eyes you might try getting something to put into them made for water fowl, maybe he has picked up some kind of bacteria from the river. I wish you all the best in caring for them.

Back
Top Bottom