Medicine for respiratory illness

I have not. This is my go to though!

Attachments

• 17115789792697957174696670652181.jpg
    17115789792697957174696670652181.jpg
    196.5 KB · Views: 11
2 week olds with respiratory problems may be suffering from Brooder Pneumonia due to Aspergillosis (mold).

A frequent source can be the feed. It's worth checking your feed carefully, moldy feed doesn't always look apparent at first glance. Smell it compared to fresh feed.

Another frequent cause can be bedding that either came contaminated, in which case it can appear dry but have all those spores still present... or if it's gotten wet and sat for a while, especially in corners and difficult to clean areas, that can breed the mold.

Symptoms include gasping, wheezing, increased thirst, and sometimes scrunching their eyes closed. There are more but that's the most common.
If they don't have those symptoms, great! But it's important to figure out the cause of respiratory illness as soon as you can.

2 week olds with respiratory problems may be suffering from Brooder Pneumonia due to Aspergillosis (mold).

A frequent source can be the feed. It's worth checking your feed carefully, moldy feed doesn't always look apparent at first glance. Smell it compared to fresh feed.

Another frequent cause can be bedding that either came contaminated, in which case it can appear dry but have all those spores still present... or if it's gotten wet and sat for a while, especially in corners and difficult to clean areas, that can breed the mold.

Symptoms include gasping, wheezing, increased thirst, and sometimes scrunching their eyes closed. There are more but that's the most common.
If they don't have those symptoms, great! But it's important to figure out the cause of respiratory illness as soon as you can.
Thanks for replying,

Here is my thread about my chicks' illness: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/chicks-sneezing-often-respiratory-infection.1616430/

It started with one chick sneezing last night, then three more started sneezing this morning, and possibly some more by this afternoon, though I haven't counted. Wet, frequent sneezes, not a normal kind. The first chick that was sneezing last night sounds stuffy. None have any of the symptoms you listed as far as I know.

Thanks for replying,

Here is my thread about my chicks' illness: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/chicks-sneezing-often-respiratory-infection.1616430/

It started with one chick sneezing last night, then three more started sneezing this morning, and possibly some more by this afternoon, though I haven't counted. Wet, frequent sneezes, not a normal kind. The first chick that was sneezing last night sounds stuffy. None have any of the symptoms you listed as far as I know.
Where are they? Garage, outside?

Where are they? Garage, outside?
A pet playpen tent in the basement. It was a teeny bit drafty down there so I blocked the drafts off today. I also put a small electric heater in the room and a dehumidifier to get any moisture. I changed the pine shavings back to paper towels, and they have a heat lamp and a brooder plate.

Back
Top Bottom