I will start by saying that the vast majority of this coop was inspired by the 'Strong, Safe, Low Maintenance' coop posted by 'gimpylou'. I will also mention that I am in no way a carpenter or construction expert, but this coop seems extremely sturdy and should be very predator proof (which was my #1 goal after losing all of our hens to a Fisher Cat last summer.) I started by digging a roughly 12' by 6' by 12" deep hole. A lot of people might ask, "If you're using the concrete footings shown in the picture, why not just dig holes where the footings are going?" The reason is, I wanted to put down an underlayment of hardware cloth which would cover the entire length and width of the coop in order to keep predators from digging and coming up underneath the coop. As you will see in the pictures, the hardware cloth will eventually be completely underground. I bought about 50 pressure treated 2"x4"x8's, and about 24 1"x8"x8's and painted them ahead of time since the hardware cloth will eventually be stapled to the 2x4s and it would be next to impossible to paint them after the fact. I bought 8 concrete footings but felt that it was sturdy enough just using 6, (although it wouldn't have hurt to use the other two)...but the worst part of this project to me was the digging and leveling, so I got lazy and only used 6. I used some construction adhesive (Fuze-it)to hold the boards together at the footings, and adhere them to the footings themselves. The stuff works great. I laid some 2x4s across the foundation to both hold it square, and give me someplace to attach the hardware cloth. Next came the hardware cloth which i attached with stainless steel bolts/washers/nuts. ***Note - If I had to do this project again, at this point I would've backfilled dirt to a level just below where the hardware cloth would be sitting. I put down the hardware cloth and thought I could throw dirt on top of it and have it sort of 'sift' down underneath, but that didn't work out too well and it was a lot of work getting dirt under the hardware cloth. Next I broke the coop up into quarters and started building walls. You could probably do them in any order you desired, I started with the front left. (I attached the hardware cloth to the walls with staples. I highly recommend doing tis on the ground before putting the wall up...it's much easier than trying to do it once the wall is standing.) Then the back left, 1' shorter than the front. (I made the front side 7' high, and the back 6'.) I then built the left side wall, which contains the main door to walk into the coop. And built the door using 2x4s and some nice barn-type hardware I got at Lowes. Next came the front right wall. The lower 2' will be open so the chickens can roam underneath it if they want some shade, and the upper 5' (by 4' wide) is where I used the 1x8's. Then the back right wall. (I initially wasn't going to paint the inside of the enclosed section, but I ended up with plenty of extra paint, so it got painted after the fact.) I used plywood for the floor of the enclosed section and bought some cheap vinyl stick-on tile (again, credit goes to 'gimpylou') to put on top of it which will prolong the life of the plywood and make it easier to clean come cleaning time. I bought a small window (16"x21") and installed it backwards, so that I can open and close it from inside the coop when the chickens go in at night. In hindsight I should've gone with a slightly larger window as it's a tight squeeze for some of the bigger hens...but it works. After finishing with all the 1x8's, I cut out areas for a large right side door (to be able to get in there for cleaning purposes), and two small doors on the front for egg gathering. I also added a plywood roof, roofing paper, and shingles (not really pictured). On the inside of the enclosed section I added some roosting bars, and made 3 nesting boxes. I also cut a hole in the front of the enclosed section for a window (screened on the inside with hardware cloth), which could be opened for extra ventilation during good weather, but can be closed during rain and cold weather. And I added 2 small 4" by 12" vents for airflow, one on the top right front corner, and the other (not pictured) on the back top right of the enclosed section. And just a few pics of the finished product. Total cost was about $1200. (New York prices, could vary slightly depending on where you are.) I also plan on adding a gutter to the back roof and sending the rain water to a rain barrel which I will also pipe into the coop.