Meet bird living quarters???

Jolyn

Songster
11 Years
Apr 5, 2008
Northern California
When you first get your chicks do they need to be kept inside? How long before they get moved outside?
Do they need a coop or will a chicken tractor do the trick? Is there a place to get pictures and ideas of the tractors?

Any info would be good.

I am thinking of maybe raising some meet birds but getting them in September. Where is the best place to order them from? I'm in California.

Also if you want to raise a Turkey for thanksgiving.......how long does that take to get one ready?

Thanks so much,
Jodie

Quote:
1.yes
2.i go about 4 weeks ,but until they feather out.
3.tractor will do.as long as it protects them for weather and critters.
4.check out "my page"
5.check out hatcheries close to you,many advertise on this site.
6.sorry,never raised turkey. i like chicken better.
good luck-everything you need to know is right here on this site,just look around Will

Quote:
Depends on the weather, especially the night time low temperature. If it's staying above 40 degrees at night, and you provide a lamp, then you can get them out at 3 weeks.

Quote:
Tractor is the only way to go with meat birds. And yes, people are always posting pictures of their tractors in here. Use the search feature or just browse the first couple paegs (also there is a coop forum on here)

Quote:
Nowhere is best as all the big hatcheries buy their broiler eggs from the same industrial breeders. So, find a hatchery closest to you and that usually means the healthiest chicks.

I suggest raising Cornish Crosses for your first time, so you can see the upside to them, and then the downside to commercial broiler genetics. Then we can talk for future batches about alternatives to them.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom