Meet Eleanor!

JesikaD01

Chirping
7 Years
May 19, 2012
Atlanta
We are officially 24 hours in to our adventure in chicken raising and so far we are having a blast! Currently 14 chicks have taken residence in our living room YIKES but we had a fun first day visiting the kids school for show and tell. We also did a lot of cuddling and playing this evening!

Below is Eleanor she is the only one with a name but already has a HUGE personality. from the back we think she looks like a chipmunk so we named her Eleanor after the Chippettes! I cant believe how in love we already are!

Welcome to the BYC family, you picked a great place to start, so much good information here, and some really experienced chicken owners who are more then willing to help answer questions!

Thanks guys!
I was reading around last night and saw somewhere that if the chicks were huddled under the lamp they were stil cold. I was thinking that was just how they slept because they wandered around other times. But I had hubby lower the light and this morning they are no longer sleeping in a ball. YAY for happy chicks!!!

They will still sleep close together usually but not like sardines in a can. Make sure they have an area to escape the heat and cool off if necessary. Overheating can be as bad as too cold and they will regulate their temperatures as needed by moving nearer or further from the lamp. After the first week they will need about 5 degrees less heat each week till they are fully feathered.

Eleanor is adorable! What breed is she?

I have Lucy and Ethel, both Red Stars. They look to be about the same age as Eleanor, but they are a reddish yellow with faint stripes on their backs. I'm totally new at chickens as well. It's just so much fun!

At 11 weeks our girls still huddle together to sleep, that is quite normal. When they are cold they will pile not huddle. Chickens are very social and like to be near their friends, so huddling is as much a security thing as it is to get warm.

Back
Top Bottom