Meet my family and flock!

NickNChickens

Hatching
5 Years
Mar 24, 2014
Sherwood, OR
Hello BYC,

Long time reader here and first time contributor. I would like to introduce myself and my flock. My name is Nick and my counterpart is Rachel, Im about to turn 25 and she just turned 27. we found a great little cabin to rent in Sherwood Oregon on 50 acres in the Chehalem Mountain range. My girlfriend is starting a bed and breakfast in the area with her mom and she will be doing all of the food shopping and cooking so she suggested we start a chicken flock so she didnt have to worry about buying eggs. I was all for the idea and dove right in. we started with 5 chicks from a local farm store (2 black sexlinks, 2 speckled sussex, 1 ameracauna) and unfortunately we are down to just 3, both of the sussex died from unknown causes. BUT the other 3 are happy, healthy, and just started laying last week! And yesterday our neighbors brought home three barred rock roosters, and one of them was getting picked on by the others so we acquired him and hes beautiful. Definitely very happy to be the only man in the flock.

And about 4 weeks ago we decided to build up the flock and purchased 7 more little ones. (2 white leghorns, 2 barred rock, 2 buff orpingtons, and 1 gold sexlink)

I cant wait for all of them to be producing eggs! and then maybe I can start a breeding project with my gorgeous barred rock roo! can you tell im proud of him?

images

You have a gorgeous flock! Sorry about the one you lost. But the rest all look great!

Welcome to BYC and enjoy all your poultry adventures!

Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC! Sounds like Chicken Math has taken ahold, you are going to have a very pretty little flock when everybody is grown, congratulations on those first eggs!

jumpy.gif
D.gif
welcome-byc.gif
and good luck with all your poultry adventures!
D.gif
jumpy.gif

The llama is our neighbors' security system for their goats and sheep. There have been a few cougars seen on the property and coyotes are everywhere. Luckily the chickens have a coop I can close up every night
I honestly think that helps keep chicken predators away also, I have a llama with my goat herd and anything out of the ordinary he is there in a flash! Even my poor housecat, poor thing, everyone wants to chase her llama, chickens, goats.....
lau.gif

That's also a reason I wanted a rooster, he provides a sense of security. Whether or not he is actually going to protect his ladies from any sort of predator is yet to be seen.

Back
Top Bottom